Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to fix grass harrows  (Read 5290 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
How to fix grass harrows
« on: May 08, 2013, 07:33:37 am »
A friend kindly gave me 3 grass horrow panels that I intend to pull behind the pick up. They are the fixed ones in a diamond pattern with the vertical spike at the point where the mettal criss cross design intersects.
Can anyone post a pic of how they should link together. I am guessing a chain and then each one fixed to a bar to tow behind something.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
Re: How to fix grass harrows
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:00 am »
Any way that works for you.

Have them all chained across a bar / pole / angle iron. That in turn you chain to tow bar. Or get technical and have one in front and other 2 trailing off each corner to give total coverage.

The whole process is not rocket science, just do what works best for , vehicle, size of field, you.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:40:34 pm »
Sounds to me like you have harrows for tilling soil.......known as harrows.

Chain harrows are for use on grass.

You will achieve nothing pulling harrows around on grass.

Post a picture if you would like confirmation !

Cheers

Stu

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:35:51 pm »
Thanks
      I will post a pic. We tried chain harrowers last year but despite weighting them down they didnt work at shifting the moss. A friend of mine who has very sandy soil as we do uses them effectively so I thought I would give them a go.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 07:49:26 pm »
We have lots of moss - found that more wieght and moving slowly was a better result - also had to do it a few times in different directions.  Weighing up the time effort and fuel I should have just bought something that kills moss as we still have more moss than grass.

Doing it when it was dead dry helped too.

To be fair I found a few of those panels in the field too and tried to make a harrow for the quad out of two - soon found out why a chain harrow is different - it just tore big holes in strips across the grass and made the quad use about a million litres of petrol and mangled the clutch. :)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 05:40:51 pm »
ooow thanks for that tip Baz. I will post a photo but I have been concidering something that just kills the moss. I just havent got round to finding out if that sort of spray is safe for sheep to graze on afterwards.

edwelld

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:59:42 am »
lime is the best way of dealing with moss. have you done a ph test?

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:08 pm »
What you need is a spring tine harrow, like the opico one much more than a chain one and variable too!

and i agree with the other post you have the wrong type they are for breaking up small clods after ploughing and grubbing.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:37:40 pm »
as kids we used to use a harrow for levelling the woodchip horse arena. that was diamond shaped with a spike. it was tied by baler twine to a metal pole and we all pulled it by hand (pony mad kids will do anything for a free ride  :innocent:). it was a bout 6ft wide.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS