Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "daylight" alarm clocks  (Read 5471 times)

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
"daylight" alarm clocks
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:38:36 pm »
I need to replace my alarm clock and am considering one of those sunrise simulation clocks - online reviews are mixed.

Any opinions/experience of them on here?
Donna

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: "daylight" alarm clocks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:17:39 pm »
No,  but I find "Farming today" is always guaranteed to get me into the shower, or at least awake and shouting at the radio...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:27:27 pm »
I've never used one but seeing as our bedroom curtains are very thin and the sun streams in our bedroom window from the crack of dawn at this time of year but I can still sleep until 9am or later, I don't think it would work for me.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:21:34 am »
We already have them, Bloody cockerels,  :roflanim:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 07:24:47 am »
Can't see the point in them, either. It's fully daylight in my bedroom from about 5 in summer - and I seem to be able to sleep better with lights on, anyway...

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:54 am »
To counter the negatives here ..... I also can wake at 5 in summer to daylight but as a SAD sufferer waking in winter is almost impossible. The daybreak alarm is great ... a slow natural wake up just like summer.   No it doesn't act like a SAD light box before anyone asks.... I have 2 of those as well!  but it is does make the start to the day much improved ..... must locate it in the still packed boxes before September!!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:33:59 am »
I have a daylight alarm clock too. Yes, don't need it from now til August, but the rest of the year it's excellent.
Helps with the SAD (you still need something else - I now use 5-HTP and high doses of vit D3 rather than a light box - but it certainly helps) and is just a nicer way to wake up than a loud noise.  It's made a big difference to my mornings.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:34 am »
5-HTP   .... please explain
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:02:55 am »
Thanks for the helpful replies - whether it's summer or winter I will still sleep through 'sunrise' so was planning on getting one with a radio/alarm too.  I have to be up and leave for work at 7am and in winter that can be pitch black!!

I just wonder if the slowly increasing light (particularly in the winter) will ease my 'getting up' as I am absolutely terrible at waking up however much sleep I have had.  So thought I would ask before investing quite a lot of money when I can buy an ordinary alarm clock radio for about £20

Donna

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:28 am »
I love mine, really helped in the winter months

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 01:06:02 pm »
No,  but I find "Farming today" is always guaranteed to get me into the shower, or at least awake and shouting at the radio...
I think listening to Farming Today would drive you to drink never mind into the shower ;D
Anne

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 02:37:29 pm »
I've got one found it really helpful. I tend to be a morning person but the daylight alarm makes me wake up more naturally and I feel more refreshed. Mine also has a sunset function which I find helpful if I' m having difficulty getting off to sleep.

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 04:56:16 pm »
its light here at 5am already.........

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »
5-HTP   .... please explain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan

A kind of "natural" antidepressant. I use it, and it works at least as well as "normal" ADs (although you never know how much of it is placebo effect - but from my point of view, whether placebo or not, as long as it works!). At least it prevents me from going all the way down the drain, and it has no side effects (which all the prescribed ADs have had so far, to  the point of actually driving me to suicide... ::) )

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 07:54:19 pm »
Just as Ina says.

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is the precursor to serotonin, the 'feel good' chemical in our brains. Serotonin seems to get used faster than it's made when we are stressed, or for those of us who are susceptible, during winter. Leading to depression. Taking 5-HTP is very effective for a lot of us in reversing this.

I also take high doses of Vitamin D3, for both the feels-good factor and the immunity boost. Forget the RDA, which is woefully inadequate and out of date, current research suggests 10,000iu is safe and if you look at the amount we make in 10 minutes in the sun, clearly we can handle a lot more. I take 10,000iu a day until it's sunny and warm enough to be outside in short sleeves.

Both these things means that I have the upper hand over depression, especially by the end of the winter, whereas for a lot of years, it had the upper hand over me!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS