Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tablets  (Read 2409 times)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Tablets
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:45:11 pm »
I am looking for a tablet for my 5 year old birthday. I have a playbook but think an android would be better for him. I do not want an IPad (thought i would get that in!). I would ideally like a 10" and have been looking at used/refurbished Samsung Galaxy Tabs.

While looking, i have seen some cheaper ones but am a bit wary if buying rubbish. Does anyone have any experience of the Motarola, or the asus or Acer. My son will play games and watch tv on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Helen

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Tablets
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:59:47 pm »
Sorry, Im not the one to ask. To me (and I may be old fashioned) 5 is far too young to use a tablet, even for watching telly on, or playing games. Who knows what screens like that can do to eyesight. Mine has certainly got worse since I started using a laptop! Probably, these days its the done thing to get such a gift, and Im well out of touch. My eldest it 29 this year!!

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:42:20 pm »
I can see what you are saying but we do limit his screen time.  He js very much an outdoor child and prefers playing outside to watching tv etc.  He plays on my playbook but i feel he would benefit from a larger screen and an OS that has more games.

Helen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:45:49 pm »
My son the IT geek has lent me his cheap 9 inch tablet and told me that if I wanted to buy one the Samsung Galaxy was the next best thing to an I pad.  I have only had this cheapy for a week but I'm not impressed.  He only uses it to play games when in bed, but I'd prefer it to have a stand of some sort for support as it is heavier than my kindle (which I love)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:59:00 pm »
If not an iPad, then a Samsung Galaxy.

But I have to agree with normandymary, limited time or not, 5 is way too young.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:16:42 pm »
My 11 year old grandson has his Dad's old i-pad - but he had to pay for it with his own pocket money/savings;  he is allowed a certain amount of electronic time and the tablet has a password on it that only his mum, Dad, or me can unlock for him.  It is only a matter of time though before he cracks it as it has brought his understanding of IT and computers way up the levels, to teh extent that he is writing complicated software already.

His 14 year old sister is aiming to be an astro physicist, I await with great excitement to hear what the 6 year old wants to be - at the moment she's going to be a vet.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:18:12 pm »
I bought a brilliant stand for my I pad from the £1 shop as my plastic one with the Griffin cover broke.....back on track, I was impressed that my grandchildren all sat on thier I pads playing, lots found out stuff as we chatted, one looked up breeds of dogs as we saw dogs pass by, then they played colouring in, other educational games and loads of fun stuff, although its much  better to limit play to special times...trouble with I pads the apps cost a bit.....I certainly love mine, have walks on my apps and train times and bus stops etc as well as other stuff thats proven very very useful!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:29:42 pm »
What about an  innotab. . It is a tablet  designed for younger children but they can still access the Internet and get games or download games, add photos and do other techi stuff. My six year old loves his and has dropped it many times and caused no damage.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 04:07:14 pm »
we have a lenovo tablet. The kids use it sometimes. Problem is the little ones drop things without realising their worth, in fact OH just told ;8 yr old off for being careless while she did her homework. I worry about how much longer it will survive  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 04:19:00 pm »
Ask at school .... see what is used there
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:29:14 pm »
My son is 23, at university - all the students are hooked on using the Google Nexus 7" tablet.  I got him one for Christmas and he loves it - relatively cheap, fairly robust and good processing power.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS