Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New lambies  (Read 3369 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
New lambies
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:01:34 am »
Very happy!  :D
My lovely Shetland x CMM girl (fromCW-thanks again!) has had a lovely set of twins on Saturday!! One of each- a jet black girl and a dark Katmoget boy.

They were up and drinking in less than 5 mins, and mum (Willow) waited till I was up at the field to have them!

Came up about 8 am and she was lying down, kept an eye on her from afar, and she just poped the boy out. She had a ten minuet rest and popped out the girl. She made it look easy.

I've got them penned in surrounded by electric as there are foxes around. She had lost some weight- haven't handled her for a couple of weeks, but been feeding ewe nuts. Will separate her and her other daughter for a week or so to make sure she gets enough feed as our greedy wethers will have the lot other wise.

Makes it easier to send off her 2 year old, very skitty daughter as I have a lovely, friendly ewe lamb to keep. ;D
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: New lambies
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:09:11 am »
Great stuff  :thumbsup:

We shall, of course, require piccies please  :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:06 am »
I really dont have a clue how to put them on.. will read the info, otherwise anyone have any idea how to put them on?
If this goes wrong, sorry!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/310086_10151381762115706_269311920_n.jpg
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:31 am »
 :thumbsup: Well done and lovely pic
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:30:11 am »
Oh they are beautiful  :) :sunshine:

Just a small point - try to keep that electric mesh really tight or the lambs will get stuck in it (even when it's on but especially if it shorts out).  You need guy ropes for the corners ie string and tent pegs.   Having long ago had sheep entirely tangled in the horrible stuff I'm paranoid about it.  Also carry a sharp knife so you can cut the mesh off quickly in an emergency.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 12:05:55 pm »
Thanks! Had thought about it- not keen on the electric but no alternative at the mo.. Its all sorted and staked out ona  new area of grass that will do for a good 3-4 days then will move again and re stake it out. It gets windy at our field to it always needs tying out at the corners! (In the pic just moved the electric quickly whilst sorted out a pen for her- thats why its all slack).

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
Crackin'  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:59:12 pm »
Lovely pic! :love:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 03:49:39 pm »
Gorgeous lambs  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 06:10:02 pm »
Beauties!   :love: :sheep:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:35:26 pm »
So cute  :love:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:20 am »
Shetlands are amazing aren't they. Lambies are so up and at 'em.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS