Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: income generating advice  (Read 7422 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
income generating advice
« on: May 03, 2013, 06:29:38 am »
Hi

I have just been reading a couple of posts and noted the diversity of what everyone is doing to generate income from varying sizes of land,  we are just starting with 4 acres so keen to find ideas that create max income on min land with the intention of eventually buying more land (ideas so far bigger than land).

I wondered if anyone would mind sharing which of the ways they use the land generates the best return?

Ta

K

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: income generating advice
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:15:27 am »
My neighbours sell all sorts of chickens and also do hatching eggs mail order. NB for security against animal and human predators this would only work if the land was by your house I think.

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:13:20 am »
Our house is almost dead centre of the land and we have a huge natural pond, I have been wondering about events and car boot sales, camping/caravans/glamping, if looking at growing things what generates the most income from the least space, breeding small animals (for the love of but also to pay for their keep), small cafe/shop, craft workshops, work placements for young adults with learning difficulties, etc.  We are converting outbuildings into holiday lets currently and there are loads of caravan sites around us as we are only 1 mile fromt he beach.

I intend putting a business plan together with all the cost analysis but there is no better source of info than those actually doing it as all ideas have their pitfalls as well, and it would be good to narrow down my research into actual paying activities in the first instance (although getting little animals - cos I want to and to eat the grass in the meantime).

Such fun (watching too much Miranda).

K

Sooo many ideas, so little money and time.

K

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:01:54 am »
There are so many variables The main one is you yourself. What talents have you got and how much effort you're prepared to put into which ever enterprise you decide upon?

Almost as important, is location. It doesn't matter how much work you put into something, if you're in the wrong place, then its not going to work.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:21:24 am »
Goat milk Soap and bath products are our main 'smallholding earners'.  It currently brings in a much larger profit than we ever dreamt (ie it pays for foreign holidays and xmas etc) but all the same doesn't mean OH can quit work for NFU yet!
We did breed small animals for a while but it was never really profit making and also I hated the fact that I didn't really know what kind of home they were going to  :-\  YOur small cafe/shop idea sounds good!  And taking advantage of your proximity to the beach would be good too with camping etc.
You need to find a gap in the market and apply your talents, be prepared for a lot of hardwork (especially in the first couple of years) with not much return initially as you are setting up, 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:12:20 am »
Don't forget to factor in a cost for insurance!  This is a 'sue and be sued' age! :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:35:00 am »
Public liability isn't that inhibitive a cost but it does give you peace of mind.

As I'm sure you know, there's a huge difference between making a living and earning some extra cash. There can't be many smallholders who make anything like a living on four acres. I run a smallholding as a life style choice and its something that I obtain a great deal of pleasure from.I make and sell cider, together with eggs and other bits and bobs, not because I have to but because I can afford too. Its taken me a long time to get to this position in life, so that while I don't want to lose money on what I do, but if I did, then it wouldn't be the end of the world.
 I've lived hand to mouth before and its not something that I'd care to repeat. Farming as an industry is a precarious business and its not something that I personally would like to depend on for my livelyhood. Just enjoy what you have and try not to get into it too deeply financially. If you do, then the enjoyment will soon disapear.
Best of luck in whaever you decide on.

fbb

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:46:38 pm »
Hello,
There was a topic on this a couple of years ago .
We have a property with 5 acres and opened a tourist attraction with gardens, aviaries the usual 'petting' type animals cafe gift shop etc.
We worked hard to set up etc, but were in a tourist area with caravan parks close by.
Another two years down the line it employs my wife and son and would allow me to give up the day job.
It is not the typical self sufficient lifestyle, but could be if we kept the sheep, pigs and goats on a more commercial footing rather than pets, but allows us the pleasure of keeping them and earning a living at the same time.
It can be done good luck.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:42:52 pm »
If you are thinking of small café/shop then what about a small gallery for local crafters/artists to display and sell their creations in exchange for workshop tuition (in their own genre) to paying guests from your holiday lets/surrounding campers.  Could be run as one day workshops or a weekend/midweek packages.  Craft workshops seem to be very popular these days. 
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:42:31 pm »
These are just the sorts of ideas I was after, I was also curious to see what other people had made work in their area (the internet must open some doors in all areas).

We are in a tourist area (alot of caravan parks within walking distance) and when we have finished converting we should have 2x 2 bedroom and 2 x 3 bedroom with joining door so could be let as a 6 bed holiday let.  Then I just need draws to drag in the rest, there was a small animal petting place in the area which became very well known and it closed down 2 years ago (small child illness - so insurance essential), so there is a gap in the market and I would like the place to be able to pay 2 salaries eventually probably not from traditional farming as I know we don't have enough land so trying to think outside the box.

I am also thinking small animal walks around some of the fields/public walk ways (with agreement with local land owners), suppose I am really trying to justify buying small animals, but people do seem to like getting up close and personal.

Looking forward to hearing what others have done.

Ta

K

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:52:26 pm »
Petting parties!! A couple near here started up a business taking a selection of cute animals to kids parties - lamb, guinea pigs, rabbits (they had giant ones), that sort of thing. They are busy every weekend! Of course if you could offer it at your place with food included a lot of mums would be biting your hand off! I know the food etc side of it is my worst part of kids parties.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:19:57 pm »
I am looking into different options on what we can do when we take the plunge...

if you are going to provide a camping service..for a few tents..offer that personal service... we always said the 1st thing on arrival would be a coffee or cup of tea..people have driven miles.. or if you go down the glamping route, ie pods..provide a welcome pack..this will cost next to nothing..but people remember ... wine, cheese, etc etc

i am looking into quails....  :thinking:

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 09:41:08 pm »
As far as i am aware you can have 6 units for camping caravanning on your land without having to apply for planning permission from your local gestapo (council).  you could just ensure they have a nice quiet area, preferably flat, a stand pipe for water.  the small animal stuff could be at the other end.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 10:12:23 pm »
Llama trekking!
No, seriously, people pay to take a llama for a walk  ???

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 11:27:21 pm »
Of our various options, holiday cottages will pay way more than anything else. I'm also thinking that longer term we might be able to do events (thinking we have lots of space for a marquee and live just across from our pretty little village church with the foody pub a potential food supplier, might be a good combo as a wedding location)/be available as a location for films/photoshoots/that sort of thing. But we are lucky to have a beautiful location and an attractive house (not quite up to location standards yet though).

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS