Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: boar meat  (Read 1611 times)

mattjen

• Joined Jun 2010
  • eastington
boar meat
« on: May 02, 2013, 08:37:00 pm »
Hi all im taking a 14 month old boar to the lovely slaughter man on tues,now would the meat be ok for sausages please??????just worried about the taint??they will be flavoured sausages ifthat makes any difference?
Many thanks Matt and Jenn x

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: boar meat
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:40:31 am »
Boar taint is completely random and your boar may or may not have it. Some people are so sensitive to it that they can smell it on the fresh meat but mostly the smell develops during cooking. Before any sausages are made, get the butcher to cut off a small piece of flesh with some fat and fry it. If there's no definite pungency then you're ok. If it does smell of boar get the butcher to make the sausages with plenty of garlic and other strong flavours to mask it.

Ollies Farm

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:20:49 pm »
I took a boar to slaughter earlier this year which was of a similar age and the sausages came back with a strong taint in them. Even with the meat seasoned I could tell the difference between our normal sausages and these, the OH didn't seem to mind the taste but I stopped eating them because of it. It can also depend on if he has been around any females recently as our boar was near to our sows a week before slaughter, they where on heat and I know he was horny. I won't be sending any more boars of that age to slaughter again, but you may be lucky!!

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:12:40 pm »
better to send them small or castrate on the day they are borne  does away with the boar taint.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 01:38:54 pm »
Aim to get boars away by 28weeks old and keep them away from females prior to despatch.
Mandy :pig:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:33:23 pm »
If you have a old boar you can still be sell them, take to a good market the Europeans love boar meet... Or get some venison and make some venison and boar sausages

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS