Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Minature Donkeys  (Read 13729 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Minature Donkeys
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 09:31:38 pm »
Hi, go into "reply's" and on the bottom left you will see "additional options".

Click on that and the rest ss straight forward, select "browse" and away you go.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing your pics, hope the calfing goes well.

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 11:58:51 pm »
Hi Pentre1230,

Thank you for getting back to me on this thread.'
The Farrier that I am going to use has 9 Donkeys of his own, Big ones though!.
So I am not worried about him doing their hooves.
I have not heard this about straw though and the people I am getting them of definitely use hay as I remarked on the New Hay they had just bought in for the winter as it smelt lovely.
I will defiantly look in to this as it is no problem getting straw as I use it for Bedding and the person I get it of uses it to feed cows as it is really good quality.
I am sure that I will have question for you as time goes on.
Look forward to your Pictures.
Kindest regards
Joe :)

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 08:22:16 am »
Hi Joe,

I always look forward to reading your posts, your attitude to life and smallholding is a credit to you and when I die I want to come back as an animal being cared for by you! The minature donkeys look fantastic, PLEASE keep us posted on your progress; I wish you and Julie nothing but good luck with your venture.

Regards, Farmer
 :farmer:

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 12:02:29 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thanks - will keep you posted

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 07:53:40 pm »
Hi Tullywood,

Have tried posting photo's but I keep getting file to big, I've reduced it down in Kodak software as best for web site but its still telling me its to large!! Give me animals anyday over pc's!! Sounds as though your farriers got it sorted,a donkeys hoove should be trimmed at 60 degrees compared to a horse's at 45 degrees.. What I meant about the straw is that they should have good clean barley straw available at all times, its ok to feed hay, we do, but the straw helps there complex digestive system, you'll find they will probably go for the straw first rather than the hay. They are browsers rather than grazers and you should limit the grass available to them as they will get to fat. Also if you want to feed them "hard grub" there is a specific bagged feed available for donkeys now its called Saracen Donkey Diet, its the only feed made specifically for donkeys with all the right nutrients, normal horse feed is too much for them. Also a feed shelter is a must unless you want to bring them in every time it rains, a donkeys coat is not waterproof like a horse's and they will soon get wet and cold and all the associated problems that brings, Iv'e seen some awful donkeys over the years suffering from rain scald.

Any questions please ask away.... 

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 08:13:56 pm »
I had donkeys and fed them straw ad lib summer and winter.  I didn't give them any hard feed, but in cold weather gave them carrots twice a day.  I fed them straw in the summer as they will choose that over grass, which reduces the amount they pig out on the grass.  I also fed them on long grass that had less sugar rather than very short grass that always had new juicy bits growing through.  On this regime mine were never overweight.  They would also come belting down the field into the shelter at the first drop of rain so as long as there is shelter the Donkeys should make the sensible choice!

They pooh in the same few places so pooh picking is easy, but also tend to wee in the same places and create smelly quagmires!  They were fantastically gentle and a pleasure to have around, but sadly i just didn't have the time to do them justice so they are now with a wonderful family doing school fairs and carnivals!

Good luck with yours!!

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 11:02:30 pm »
Yes we loved feeding our donkey carrots too.  We will have a stable for them when it is raining, and shelter in the fields is available for all animals, either natural as in trees or man made.

Thank you all for your info - we have another few weeks to wait before ours arrive - should be in September.

Julie  ;)

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 11:52:09 pm »
To Pentre1230

We would like to put our two girls into foal in October.

They are from the UK and awaiting bloodline details.  Could you ask your parents what our options are?
Buying a male
AI ?
Loaning a Male for a stud fee ?

We are in Eire which complicates things - maybe they know a keeper or breeder here?

Any help or information would be gratefully received

kind regards
Julie and Joe

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 12:09:47 am »
I just love my mini donkey, his name is "Peanut", and that's one of my little dogs, "Baby" that's sitting on his back.
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 09:21:24 am »
Donkey as well ::)  you are really spoilt aren't you ;D ;D ;D
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 11:28:06 pm »
Cameldairy, your donkey looks just like ours - do they all have big bellies, cause when we first saw ours I thought they were pregnant, but apparently there not, and the big belly is normal?? ::)

I am still awaiting the papers for mine, and then I am going to buy a jack to breed with them in the Spring. ;D

Have you ever bred from your miniature donkey?? ???
Julie

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 08:28:59 pm »
Snoopy, The big belly is not normal, try and find out from the breeder or previous owner when they where last wormed and/or arrange for a worm test and go from there. Not sure what paperwork you could be waiting for, you should have been given passport (lawfull requirement) transfer forms unless previous owner is standing the transfer fee and the pedigree certificate. Are the MMDA registered? If so you cannot breed with them until they are 3 years old.

If you have no experience with owning and handling a jack donkey, I would think long and hard about buying one so early on, if you only have just two jenny's you would be better off sending them away to be mated in hand, with only 2 jenny's your jack would only be "working" twice a year and not very happy!!

We have a quite a few miniature donkeys and have bred donkeys for many years, would be more than happy to give you any help...

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 11:11:56 am »
Hello Pentre

P.M.d you the information that I have on the two girls.

Thanks for the information above, and its great to know that there is someone on
the forum we can ask questions  ;)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 11:45:30 am »
We live close to the Minature Pony Centre on Dartmoor and my grandchildren love to visit and see the ponies and donkeys. They would love to own some but I find it cheaper to buy a season ticket so that they can visit when they like!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS