Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Minature Donkeys  (Read 13728 times)

Tullywood Farm

Minature Donkeys
« on: July 10, 2009, 12:32:56 am »
Hi to all,
I am getting a couple of Miniature Donkeys and was wondering if there is anything special I have to do to take care of them.
I know that a Donkey's coat is not water proof thats why the two of them will have a 12x12 feet house to go in any time they want.
I also am very lucky to live within 2 miles of a very good and very experience farrier.
I would love to hear from anyone who keeps these beautiful animals and can offer me any advice on their care.
Kind regards
Joe  :)

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Minature Donkeys
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:22:49 am »
the bible of all things donkey is "the professional handbook of the donkey " you should be able to get it in your local library, ive seen it in ballyhaunis, my mum has her own copy as she has a few standard donkeys of her own!

it tells you everything you need to know about donkeys and a whole pile of stuff you wouldnt think to ask but is really useful!
GEM. X

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:21:07 am »
Hi Gem

Julie has just told me she has this book!.
I don't have time to look at every book she buy's as we seem to have a delivery van from Amazon books just for us.
But I will definately be looking at this one.
Thank you for your reply.
I am glad to see it is not only me that is up at crazy Hours.
I think I will go to bed now though as it is 2.20 am.
Kind regards
Joe  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:28:08 pm »
Never heard of mini donkeys - can we have some photos when you get them please. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 03:07:04 pm »
Never heard of mini donkeys - can we have some photos when you get them please. ;D

I do not think we will be able to stop ourselves posting a pic of them - they are gorgeous, imagine a donkey the size of a rottweiler - but all furry with big sad eyes.

Julie

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 04:25:24 pm »
Just googled miniature donkeys and they are so cute, we must have pictures pls, thanks! :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 06:35:06 pm »
Here you are - http://www.miniaturedonkeys.org.uk/ Aren't they just so cute?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:45:44 pm »
OMG I so want one, how cute are they?

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 08:56:01 pm »
OMG I so want one, how cute are they?
I second that !
WOW - I thought mini shetland ponies were cute, but these guys win hands down !!!
I'm off to see how much they cost & where I can get to see some up close !  ;)

...................................just been on the website.................................
£1500 for a gelding and £2500 - £3000 for a jenny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o
Cute they may well be but I'll have to resign myself to looking, just think of the pigs & chickens I could get for that kind of money  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:11:59 pm by HappyHippy »

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:16:36 pm »
Hi  :)

I will post some pictures as soon as I get my two girls.
The cost of them is exactly why I am asking for any advice on these beautiful baby's.
I am very lucky to be able to get these little darling's and don't want to make any mistakes.
I have got two friends staying over the weekend who are both Zoo keeper's and am lucky enough to be good friends with the Team leader (Manager, but more politically correct)of Dublin Zoo who has had experience with Miniature Donkey's.
But I like to gather as much info as possible when I am embarking on looking after the welfare of any animal as I find you can never know enough.
It's Only What You Learn After You Know Every Thing That Counts!!!!.  :o  :o
The other thing is I have enough Chicken's and pig's and I have fallen in love with these.  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:
Kindest regards to all
Joe

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 10:24:47 am »
I'm sooooo jealous Joe, I would love one (or 14 !  ;D) I hope you'll keep us up to date with their progress.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 03:53:26 pm »
Cynically, I was reading this and thinking "What's the point?" than I saw the photos. How cute are they? I like donkeys anyway, but these are beautiful. I hope they don't become a fad, though, (not with Joe and Julie).

Tullywood Farm

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »
Thanks Rosemary.

We do a lot of work with Schools, teaching them the benefits to the planet and their location of locally produced food, and healthy food.

Not many people keep pigs here, and most haven't seen a pig close up.
We take piglets around the schools to show the kids. 
Its great fun the questions we get asked are hilarious.
Age 4 to 12 are the target audience, and they tell their parents all about our visit and the local farmers market.

We hope to offer Children's Birthday Parties in our farm shop next year - an alternative to McDonald's or Burger King - they will get a barbecue with rare breed 80% pork sausages and burgers. - Lots of rules red tape and regulation before we will be there- but it is doable.

My justification of having these beautiful little creatures, is to let children see them close up, and at their level - when they visit the farm or if we visit the schools. :)  Kids are frightened of big animals, but love miniature goats and smaller animals.

plus I LOVE donkeys - used to have one called Moses, but he attacked a few of our sheep even after being gelded so I had to sell him, unfortunately. Miss him lots :-[

Julie

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 02:46:53 pm »
Wow these are sooo cute!! I want!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:59:23 pm »
Oh don't tease us please we would just love to see the pics. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS