Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rolling and storing fresh pasta  (Read 3466 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
rolling and storing fresh pasta
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:07:24 pm »
I use Italian flour and my own eggs, sometimes duck eggs to make pasta. When I wrapped and refridgerated leftover dough it had turned green the next morning. What is the cause of that? It did not look appetising, so I binned it. Would freezing solve the problem?
When rolling it I find that my pasta is always sticky as soon as strands or sheets touch. I don't want bricks so I try to avoid too much dusting the sheets with additional flour...any suggestions from more experienced pasta makers?  :&>

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: rolling and storing fresh pasta
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 02:19:41 pm »
I have found that italian 00 flour varies enormously in the amount of liquid it can absorb, so It can be a bit hit or miss.  What do you roll it with?  I use an attachment for my kenwood and the last lot I made, barely held itself together, but was perfect in texture when extruded. If you roll in a pasta machine make it as dry as possible as repeated rolling through makes it hotter and wetter and stickier!  That said, I usually make all the pasta up and then freeze any I don't use immediately.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:04:28 pm »
Thanks! For flat sheets I just use a rolling pin, for linguine the machine. I then hang them immidiately but they still stick, what they never seem to do ion the Tele! Tje rolling pin method seems to make it less sticky, true enough! Doesn't iyours stick together when you thaw it? In which shape do you freeze it? :&>

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 04:17:36 pm »
Thanks! For flat sheets I just use a rolling pin, for linguine the machine. I then hang them immidiately but they still stick, what they never seem to do ion the Tele! Tje rolling pin method seems to make it less sticky, true enough! Doesn't iyours stick together when you thaw it? In which shape do you freeze it? :&>

I don't thaw it - just chuck it into boiling water!  Shape I freeze it in, is, of course essential to the entire process - I like to call it 'a heap'.  ;D   Linguine, spaghetti, macaroni just goes in a floured bag and frozen straight away.  Don't think I have ever frozen lasagne sheets - I make enough to do the lasagne and then put the rest to make spaghetti or something else. 

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:57 am »
oooo IVe got a kenwood!  Thats going on the wish list right after the mincer!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:01 am »
oooo IVe got a kenwood!  Thats going on the wish list right after the mincer!
You won't regret it.  It's one of my "most used" gadgets in my kitchen. No idea how much they cost - mine was a leaving present from work about twenty years ago!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS