Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1663 times)

Cactus

• Joined May 2013
Hello!
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:25:47 pm »
Thought I'd introduce myself  :wave: We're a fair way off from being able to look for grazing but we're busy researching everything in the meantime.

I currently live in Surrey with my husband and three year old daughter, plus a range of pets. We're hoping to move to Wiltshire this year, at which point we'll be able to (hopefully!) find a bit of grazing and start the smallholder dream. The plan is to do sheep first (my husband likes Portlands and I've fallen in love with Greyface Dartmoors), although we'll be complete novices! I have horses and breed poultry but sheep (and anything else) will be a steep learning curve.

So pleased I found such a great forum and site!

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:37:01 pm »
hello Cactus!
I'm in Devon - moved here from West Sussex but spent 20 years in Surrey before that.  Would love to be back in Sussex but just couldn't afford the land!  Nice to meet you :excited:

Maggie

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:59:48 pm »
Hi and welcome Cactus  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie :wave:

Cactus

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »
Thank you for the lovely welcome :) Land is far too expensive around here for me to do anything yet and it's such a shame. Fingers crossed we can move sooner rather than later.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:35:06 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from  :sunshine: :sunshine: Shropshire.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:04:28 pm »
Hi & welcome,

I'm from Wiltshire originally, have lived in Surrey but now in Kent (via Wales, Sweden and Switzerland along the way). Why are you looking at Wiltshire? Thought land was still quite expensive there! Kent is worth a look too  ;) Good luck with the plans,

H

Cactus

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 06:04:08 pm »
Hi Hester

We're aiming for Wiltshire as the place we work has a site there - we already commute an hour each way as it is, so makes sense to relocate there :) Land's expensive there too but not quite as much as Surrey and frankly there's just more available so hopefully we'll be able to rent a couple of acres at first (fingers crossed!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS