Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Most profitable animals.  (Read 6022 times)

Will 101

• Joined Jul 2009
Most profitable animals.
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:27:48 pm »
Hi there I was just wandering what animal would be the most profitable to keep on quite a small scale. My dad has a 300 cow dairy herd and I was thinking of rearing some animals. Ive done a couple of sheep and pigs but would like to know what animals are most profitable!
Thanks
Will

HappyHippy

Re: Most profitable animals.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:58:32 pm »
Hi Will,
I'm no expert, but on a small scale you'd have to go for something you could attach a premium to - something unusual or organically raised etc.
In my experience, on a small scale level there's not much room for profit - it's only when you start to talk about buying feeds in bulk (or growing your own which would obviously eat into the amount of available land) or intensive rearing for a quick turn around, do you have room to drive down costs and get a profit.
I'm not sure this is going to be the most helpfull site as most of us here don't keep animals purely for profit (in fact I doubt whether any of us would want to consider if we do indeed make a 'profit' - as I suspect the answer would be a resounding NO ! just tasty meat and the enjoyment of raising our own animals)
I suspect on a small scale for maximum return you'd need to consider chickens or turkey's as they grow quicker, take up less space and don't cost that much to feed, but by the time you consider housing, fencing, vermin control etc you'd possibly be onto your 3rd or 4th 'batch' before showing a profit.
Hope this has maybe helped a bit ?
Good luck  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:52:44 am »
Sorry Wll, just noticed you've posted in cattle and here I am banging on about chickens & turkeys ! LOL!

patmci

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:41:45 am »
This take s bit of money and risk but i think could work. Go to your local milk producer {your dad mabye) or your local market and buy a high yeilding 3rd or 4th calver from a holstein line. Then return to the market and buy some month week old continental calves like a belgian blue. I have been told that a high yeilding  holstein cow can raise as many as 8 calves but i think 5 would be safer. Raise the calves on the cow until about 6 months of age wean them put them on grass for another 6 months andtake advantage of the very high prices that yearlings are making. You will of course have to put the cow back in calve but i am sure your dad could help you with that.

Regards Patrick

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:10 pm »
If your dad can't help...try a bull

(Sorry I couldn't resist...must be the rain)

Farmer
 :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS