Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ADVICE NEEDED.!  (Read 7589 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: ADVICE NEEDED.!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 10:57:56 am »
No Plums.. Heidi meant loan a companion.
ahhh got you now!   quite a few wethers (castrated boys) for sale around or I'd probably be inclined to do what CW says with having 2 females if you are interested in having milk for home use  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 01:08:47 pm »
I Know you have fallen head over heels for the babbies, but you could when they are old enough sell them as a pair? They will make a lovely friendly pair for someone not wanting breeding goats and will allow you the space to keep an adult companion?
If you did this, I would get another female, then put them in kid alternate years. Milk one through whilst the other is in kid then swap them over ;)
You are devoting so much time to you goats you might just as well fill your fridge with delicious mil and cheese :thumbsup:

That was the plan but got boys :roflanim:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 07:05:36 pm »
If it was me in your situation I would probably  think seriously about doing as CW suggests, Rehome the 2 boys into a pet home together but get an adult Nanny in advance so that they get used to each other before the boys leave
Graham

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:50 pm »
If it was me in your situation I would probably  think seriously about doing as CW suggests, Rehome the 2 boys into a pet home together but get an adult Nanny in advance so that they get used to each other before the boys leave

This is a good idea I think we will go this way...thanks for all the advice

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:19 pm »
You both are so good with the goats, I know you want the best for them  :bouquet:  at least at this time of year you will probably find more goats for sale than at any other  :fc:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 08:56:15 pm »
Bit of a dilemma will willow go quiet when the kids got older?? Get another nanny and sell kids?? Don't really know what to do..been searching for a local nanny without any luck at the moment :(

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 08:58:43 pm »
Cant remember where you are Carl ?
Is there no rescues near you or even comercial dairy herds ?
Graham

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 09:05:39 pm »
West Midlands.. Will search for goat sanctuary

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 09:07:14 pm »
I'll ask the worcestershire goat club people if any of them are selling nannies. will let you know Carl.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 09:23:27 pm »
Thanks Lisa  :thumbsup:

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 09:42:08 pm »
Just found a 12 month old British saanen local to me .. Awaiting reply from a petting farm :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS