Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ADVICE NEEDED.!  (Read 7588 times)

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
ADVICE NEEDED.!
« on: April 30, 2013, 04:47:04 pm »
OK . i know carl has asked for advice but our willow is bleating..ALOT! she got gawjus home , food , hay , water and company .! she eats well and has loads of love and attention,? im so confused wat else cud it be!??
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: ADVICE NEEDED.!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:38:40 pm »
I would have thought that (same as human mums) she may need "adult" company...
Also keeping occupied by having to chew the bark off branches (large ones) may calm her down a bit...
I have never kept only one adult goat (even with kid) for any length of time. When I first started out my GG nanny came first with her kid and the BT goatling arrived a couple of weeks later. Those first two weeks were NOISY, and the minute Skyee arrived in the pen next door to the GG's peace and quiet was restored.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 05:50:24 pm »
Looking back, Puffin was desperate for adult company from Vanna and Reggie too. I think like all animals, they need a bit of respite from mum duties at times and maybe would feel a bit vulnerable as the only adult responsible for young when they are prey animals in the wild, maybe she feels stressed? 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 06:22:22 pm »
My young goat who didn't go to billy is a bit noisy and goes quiet when I go out aNd give her a cuddle. Usually they either want something different to eat or some affection and a chat.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:48:17 pm »
None of ours like to be away from the other adults even if they have kids with them so it could well be lack of company.
Graham

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:16:55 pm »
honestly i and carl are with her so much , i feel worried now?! wat if she stressed out and the kids arent adult yet?  :'( .. she gets sooo much love tho .  :love: . id hate to think she was unhappy.. :goat:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:20:37 pm »
Stuck a big log in there from a willow tree that I cut down..see if that makes and difference :fc:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:23:04 pm »
You might just have to face the fact she is a noisy girl! I have a Wiltshire Horn ewe that I hand reared and you would not believe the racket she makes. If she gets a whiff of me anywhere close she screams non stop at the top of her voice. Must drive my neighbours mad when she is home for lambing

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:16:21 pm »
can you get another one to keep her company?  Lots of people are getting rid of billy's now - and if wethered, they make great pets and don't smell like billy's at all!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:17:44 pm »
honestly i and carl are with her so much , i feel worried now?! wat if she stressed out and the kids arent adult yet?  :'( .. she gets sooo much love tho .  :love: . id hate to think she was unhappy.. :goat:
Exactly - she knows if she makes enough of a racket you will come and spend time with her. She is lonely. However I would bet she will calm down if she had adult/goatling company. Sorry, goats are herd animals and need at least one of their own kind to keep them happy.
Unlike sheep goats do not have their kids with them at all times (in the wiild), they hide the kids somewhere safe and come back periodically to check on them and feed. My adults go out with the herd from the day after kidding, and then come back inside every so often to feed their kids (who happily sleep in the pens while mum is outside). From day 4 or 5 kids are on the bottle and nannies are milked.

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 10:42:16 pm »
i know wat u are all saying and it true she loved company but another adult when we keeping thd kids too? they 7 weeks old now so soon will  be big ? plus where do we "loan" a billy from?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:32:06 pm »
Was Willow with other goats before she came to you?  I assume you just have Willow and her kids?  I have alot of goats, so obviously my situation is different ....but the adults are always kept in pairs.  Even when they have kids, they stay together.  The only ones who live on their own are the intact males, because of fighting.  But even they live alongside each other, and therefore have company.

It sounds like Willow has come to rely on you for company, and knows if she bleats you will be there to make a fuss of her.  She sounds to be well cared for, and has food and water, so no worries there!! 
You will either have to put up with the bleating, or try another goat (castrated male will be ok),  Perhaps if you could have one on trial to see how they get on with each other, and if the bleating stops, before you committed to having  another goat, that would be an idea.

Goats are herd animals, and like to be with other goats.  I think if I  took away my goats companion and just let her with kids, I would get alot of bleating :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 07:38:26 am »
plus where do we "loan" a billy from?

An intact billy? are you thinking of mating her again later this year
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:19:00 am »
No Plums.. Heidi meant loan a companion.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 08:40:40 am »
I Know you have fallen head over heels for the babbies, but you could when they are old enough sell them as a pair? They will make a lovely friendly pair for someone not wanting breeding goats and will allow you the space to keep an adult companion?
If you did this, I would get another female, then put them in kid alternate years. Milk one through whilst the other is in kid then swap them over ;)
You are devoting so much time to you goats you might just as well fill your fridge with delicious mil and cheese :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS