Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rose Veal ... is there a market?  (Read 9161 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Rose Veal ... is there a market?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 08:38:12 am »
yeah me too. They do make a fuss about their cows around here. I'll take some photos when the bulls and heffers are next taken into town and BBQ meat is given to us punters. quite a site.
They are certainly happy to pay for what they think is a quality product. Roast chickens on a market go for 13€ to 16€ becuase they are "farm" chickens.
Supermarket and butchers display the farmer's name, herd and even animal number for veal/beef - Large glass walls behind the butchers counter show up sides of the animal hanging behind them.
average French spend 70% of income on food ( apparentley) and they won't buy cheap
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 09:38:51 am »
.......... I will also check that the word "veau" does mean veal.
"Veau" is French for Veal (Je n'aime pas ça)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:36:57 am by OhLaLa »

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 10:18:20 am »
We bought some veal from the butcher a few weeks back. To be honest I would rather use chicken for half the price or spend the money on a good beef steak.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »
I'd love to try rose veal - River Cottage have been championing it for a couple of years now.  Neighbours have taken some dairy boy calves so have to see how that goes.  I could really fancy doing that too - the cow equivelant of raising weaner pigs?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »
Fi, my favourite is Italian style with marsala wine sauce. Mmmm, making me hungry just typing about it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:06 pm »
We will be needing lots of recipes by the end of the Autumn as our 2 will be going and they are for our use  :-\
Graham

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 09:15:20 pm »
Oui mercie OhlaLa J'étais ironique.
 ;D ;D ;D

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:46 pm »
I'll be interested to hear what the French think of our beef and veal - we are told they go mad for our lamb.

Agneau <<St George>> is EBLEX marketing British Lamb over there, I believe and it is a premium product.

domsmith

• Joined Aug 2012
  • sanquhar, dumfries and galloway
    • sunnyside farm
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 10:07:54 pm »
I think i have said before, i used to produce veal on the farm, using dairy bred bull calves from neighbouring dairies.
The term veal is a bovine under 9 months i think. same in france and anywhere else in the EU. the french would use limis or anything not just dairy for veal. but it will be 6 months old never older than 8 months.

rose veal is simply the term used to described the slightly darker coloured veal produced in the uk from calves eating a varied diet that cannot by law be just milk. the term veal does not have anything to do with milk fed.

my calves were reared on a volac machine for 8 weeks then completely weaned and finished on silage and a compound cake. we would finish anything up to 10 months old to make sure we got the right size.
i prefered a carcass of around 150kg dead weight.

all were butchered and sold through my own butchery. we would finish at least 2 per week and at peek times up to 5.
demand and interest was strong, we featured on the f word with Janette street porter. we sold through farmers markets, direct to restaurants and to wholesalers. i was never short of customers.

there is now little or no veal produced here in scotland but there is plenty out there(heaves farm veal) another producers tried to change the name to some rubbish like field raised ruby veal.

there is demand, but you need consistency of supply restaurants want it every week not just once a year.

Myself i prefer beef, dark well marbled golden yellow fat. Dexter being my choice. but the veal allowed me to start in farming and build my herd.

i still supply a customer in edinburgh with veal, he buys the whole carcass from me with no messing. he loves it. but i use angus cross dexter calves, because thats what have and he pays a good price for it.

if anone wants any more info feel free to ask

dominic

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS