Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rose Veal ... is there a market?  (Read 9162 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Rose Veal ... is there a market?
« on: April 30, 2013, 11:30:04 am »
Following on from another thread on shooting calves ..... does anyone know of any markets for rose veal? 
Has anyone made a success of producing it? (by that I mean making any money).
Seems a great area for small holders but the market is the sticking point.

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Rose Veal ... is there a market?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:53:34 am »
Linda, I posted a thread on veal a while ago. I was finding it impossible to get. I asked at the local supermarkets and butchers they all said they don't stock it as there is no call for it.
It seems that most people are still under the impression that its cruel as it used to be in the 'old' days.

Eventually I did get some but it was a bit of a faff. I went on line and ordered it from M&S and arranged for it to be delivered there on a day I knew I would be in Carmarthen.
Somehow though I don't think my 200 grams of veal would be enough for you to consider doing it.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »
I agree that the very word "veal" in the UK is linked to all kinds of beliefs and strange thoughts by succesive generations. I can get my children to visit us and share the slaughter of rabbits and ducks that they saw when they were born but they won't eat veal. maybe you could find a resturant market but I am not sure that many butchers would take it.
This is the view from my back door. Pink veal is VERY popular here with the local restaurant favourite on markets days being Tete de Veu. Calves seem to be born all year round and from Spring onwards they are all in the fields with their mums and the odd bull. Older calves are split into groups of 20.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:34 pm »
Those aren't veal calves, MAK, they're beef animals.  They look like Limousins.  Over here we can finish Limis at 14-18 months, it probably takes even less time in a better climate.  Whether they finish them for 6-8 weeks indoors on barley, I wouldn't know - I'd doubt it, as the French know good meat when they eat it!  :-J

Veal calves will be dairy'bred animals - skinny backends, never going to be worth the fodder growing them on to a bigger size.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:53:35 pm »
To answer Linda's original question - I think you'd have to look at direct selling, farmers' markets, etc.  Online, even.  Once you can establish that people buy the stuff, then you could see if a butcher would buy direct from you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:43:35 pm »
I'll have some!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:51 pm »
There was a farmer very local to us here who was having a go.   She called in with a basket of their products and we bought 4 packs of the mince which was OK but given a choice it would be beef everytime.    Not sure how they're getting on as she hasn't called back again....unless we've been out and I've missed her.   I'll see if I can find the leaflet that she left.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:22:49 pm »
Hogget and mutton have had a resurgence in recent years with celebrity chefs championing them.

How about coming up with another name than 'veal'? (teenage beef?  Perhaps not  :roflanim: ).   I have never eaten veal because of the way it used to be raised, but I have eaten rose veal.  I found it a bit insipid, but then I like my meat with plenty of flavour. But for a delicate meal at a dinner party or in a top-end restaurant, rose veal would be great.

The word 'veal' does conjure up baby calf in most people's minds, whereas I understand that rose veal comes from an older animal, no younger than a spring lamb.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07:18 pm »
The pictures above are of Limousin Rouge Sallyinthe north. I believe are sold as rose veal at 18 to 20 months. The ones you see are as big as they get and would have been moved to Italy or local buyers within a week or two. My neighbour tells me that he sells his animals as veal not beef so maybe the ones above meet a different standard in the UK. No dairy cows around these parts and even the supermarket butcher will display the farmer ( picture sometimes), location and herd number. They queue for it and eat every single part of the animal - tongue to feet and tail - even the bones are sold cut thru on small trays. We buy the kidneys to cook in cream with mushrooms.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:01:48 pm »

Sunnyside in Portpatrick produce rose veal pies ok but i prefer the Dexter ones! The have a website though probably worth a look  :fc:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 10:59:31 pm »
Have you seen http://www.jerseybeef.com/ ?

Edit - sorry, blonde moment, I forgot her whole enterprise is taking dairy calves beyond veal age. Doh.  :dunce:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:10:45 pm by YorkshireLass »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 01:44:57 am »
I maybe don't understand what 'rose veal' is.

Here's what I thought it is.

When veal had a bad name, calves were incarcerated in crates so that the blood stayed pale and the meat also stayed very pale, almost white.  They were killed at about 6 months old, I think.  They would never have seen the sun, never have run and skipped, never have eaten grass.  :'(

Back in the 70s, it was discovered that the meat would still be very pale, although not quite so white, if the calves were kept in reduced daylight, in strawed yards in wooden barns.  No grass and no sunlight, but they could be reared in groups, could play and nibble straw.   :thumbsup:.  (The barns had to be wooden, not metal, to prevent them getting any iron, which would have coloured the blood.)

In the 80s, calf crates were outlawed in England.  (I don't know if it was the whole of the UK or just England, but I do know they were outlawed in England.)  At this point, many people began to eat veal again, provided it was English (ie., reared in strawed yards in groups, not in solitary confinement crates.)

More recently, people have been talking about rose veal.  I had understood this to be very young animals still, not more than 8 month-ish, but which had been allowed to be outside and on grass.  Hence more iron in the blood, more colour in the meat, 'rose' rather than very pale or white.

The Jersey dairy farm my Hillie came from (and sokel's Jersey bull calves too) rear and slaughter their own bull calves at about 18 months.  It is beef, not veal, and it is dark and full of flavour.  But there isn't much meat on an animal, and the butchering costs are more-or-less the same as for a more meaty beast, so for most folks there isn't enough profit in rearing the Jersey bull calf.  Wheelbirks use their own beef in their cafe, and sell it from the farm, so manage to make it pay.

In England, the beef in the supermarket, unless it states otherwise, is likely to be predominantly continental breed, often Limousin beasts, generally 16-22 months old.  The same will be true of a lot of butchers' beef, too.  Any beef from a more native type, matured for up to 30 months (legal maximum since BSE - which is a shame, as some breeds benefit from a further 6-12 months), may appear in the regular beef packs but is more likely these days to be marked as Hereford, Aberdeen Angus, Shorthorn, [Ruby Red] Devon, Galloway or whatever, and be slightly more expensive.  Not much of it will be 30 months old, but the majority will be nearer to 26 months than 20, as it takes these animals that bit longer to reach maturity.

We get our early lambs away at 14-16 weeks old, typically, weighing 37-39k kgs.  They'll kill out at 18-19 kgs.  The continental market will buy lambs much smaller than the home market wants, down to 14kgs deadweight and less.  There is also a very specific continental market for 'milk lamb', which is the hill sheep's lambs, straight off their mothers (ie., not weaned), straight off the hill, typically about 4 months old and not, to a home market eye, anywhere near finished.  I guess this is the ovine equivalent of 'veal'.

Generally I prefer my meat well matured (and well hung after butchering too) - deep dark red, full of flavour. :yum:  But I can see the appeal of the occasional, more subtley flavoured and generally mouth-wateringly tender, meat from a much younger animal, not hung for long.  Much paler, succulent and sweet.  I had 30-month Castlemilk Moorit chops tonight, and I challenge anyone to produce a lamb chop with more flavour.  But I do still enjoy the occasional meal of young Charollais lamb - nothing like the depth of flavour, but tender, moist, sweet and succulent. :yum:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 08:06:47 am »
so the answer is to sell beef as veal to the French maybe  :innocent:

SintN  you have raised another question which I'll put in sheep
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:31 am »
I'll check at what age my neighbour sells his cows as veal. I will also check that the word "veau" does mean veal. They speak a patou ( spell check needed) here and an old lady told me that the word for vache differs from village to village.
Yep - ship the veal out here but it could be the same story as with cheese. The French believe that only they can make good cheese despite British cheeses winning so many competitions. Could be the same with veal from UK
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 08:24:47 am »
I'll be interested to hear what the French think of our beef and veal - we are told they go mad for our lamb.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS