Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What 3 ply wool?  (Read 10572 times)

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
What 3 ply wool?
« on: April 29, 2013, 06:38:52 pm »
Hi all - I want to knit a very special baby shawl.  I have found a lovely pattern which uses 3 ply wool and I would like to find some wool with a merino content or similar so that the shawl is extra soft but still suitable for a baby.  Most merino I can find seems to be 4 ply.

Any advice or can anyone point me in the direction of a good supplier?

I have found this which is 100% merino wool - not sure if that is suitable for babies or does it need to be mixed with something?
http://www.outbackyarns.co.uk/Adriafil/Avantgarde/Adriafil-Avantgarde-White-02/prod_7536.html

Thanks - Donna
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:54:25 pm by colliewobbles »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: What 3 ply wool?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:39:29 pm »
Donna, It says suitable for baby garments and its also superwash so you should be able to wash it ok.
I think you have found your yarn.
I have never used 3ply but guess it will make a really lovely shawl. Of course we will want to see a picture when its finished  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mariask

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:05:04 pm »
Hmm. The yarn you've linked to might technically be 3ply (ie constructed from three individual strands, plied together), but in terms of its yardage, it falls more into the 4ply or 'fingering' weight category (pause for sniggers at 'fingering' weight...  :-J) : 450m per 100g (which is what the Adriafil Avantgarde is) is fairly standard 4ply yardage, I think.

Do you have a link to the pattern, so we can see what sort of yardage you're expected to have for this particular shawl? It could be that a standard 4ply would be fine for it. In fact, given that you're knitting a shawl and the exact gauge doesn't matter, you might be better going for 4ply anyway. They're much easier to find, for a start!

There *are* some 3ply yarns around. Fyberspates does some - they're really luxurious though, and possibly not suitable for baby shawls (hand-wash only, so not much good for baby dribbles...):

http://www.fyberspates.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/Fyberspates/_354014/1/Lace%2520%252D%25202ply%2520%2526%2520heavy%2520lace%2520

Posh Yarns also do some heavy lace weight yarns (which are, I think, about the same yardage as the Fyberspates 3ply):

https://poshyarn.co.uk/information/yarnrange

I'm sure a baby shawl in any of these would be superb - but not necessarily superwash, or machine washable.

Good luck either way. I'm looking forward to seeing what pattern it is!

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:02 pm »
Here it is - although the pic isn't great, hard to see white on a computer screen.

http://www.laughinghens.com/knitting-pattern-page.asp?patternpageid=16751

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:52:19 pm »

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25:56 pm »
It states 30 sts to 10cm on 3.25mm needles - which certainly does seem different to most of the 4ply/fingering weight wools I can find.

Mariask

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:24:17 am »
That's beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous.

It will look lovely whatever you knit it in, I'm sure! I've been having a quick scroll through Ravelry's yarn database, to see what options there are. The pattern suggests a yarn that has 460m per 100 grams, so as long as you find something of approximately that yardage, you should be fine. The Avantgarde is 450m per 100g, so should work well. There's a Lana Grossa yarn called 'Cool Wool Baby', which has 440m per 100g, which would also work. But it seems that most of the yarns in that range are either luxury jobbies, which aren't really practical for baby stuff, or 100% acrylic, which is definitely practical (ie machine washable), but don't fit your merino requirement!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished object, in whatever yarn you choose. Best of luck!  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:41:08 pm »
Try www.deramore.com as they have 14 3 ply yarns, some of which are part or all wool.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 01:31:03 pm »
That's beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous.

It will look lovely whatever you knit it in, I'm sure! I've been having a quick scroll through Ravelry's yarn database, to see what options there are. The pattern suggests a yarn that has 460m per 100 grams, so as long as you find something of approximately that yardage, you should be fine. The Avantgarde is 450m per 100g, so should work well. There's a Lana Grossa yarn called 'Cool Wool Baby', which has 440m per 100g, which would also work. But it seems that most of the yarns in that range are either luxury jobbies, which aren't really practical for baby stuff, or 100% acrylic, which is definitely practical (ie machine washable), but don't fit your merino requirement!

Looking forward to seeing photos of the finished object, in whatever yarn you choose. Best of luck!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Mariask - I couldn't source the Lana Grossa wool here in the UK and delivery from Germany was 20 euros.  However, I found one online supplier for the Avantgarde which I have just ordered.  Should be with me tomorrow and I can get started.  Now - keeping that wool white with two collies, a cat and DUST!!   :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:29 pm »
Don't forget the piccies. We all want to see how it turns out.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 11:21:08 pm »
Must just recommend Outback Yarns based in Castle Douglas - ordered wool mid-morning yesterday, it arrived today.   :thumbsup:  And it was free post and packing.

Tension square done - now I need to get different sized needles!!

Donna

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 11:30:36 am »
Thanks CW, I will try them when I want some more yarn

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:44 pm »
An update - shawl it well on the way but more importantly I can now say who it is for.

My daughter (my 22 year old baby!) is pregnant, due on December 29th - this will be my first grandchild and I am very excited and slightly overwhelmed with how I feel!   :excited:

Didn't want to 'go public' on this until her fiance was home from Afghanistan and they had told everyone in immediate family.  Unfortunately he has to go back to Afghan. next Thursday until November - but at least he will definitely be here when baby is born.

Donna

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:07 am »
How exciting.  :excited: No wonder you want to make something really special and a grandchild is certainly special. I remember how excited I was when I was waiting to become a grandma and how amazed I was at the overwhelming love I felt for him when I first held him. I expected to feel that way when I became a mum but here was this little person who I had not given birth to but who I would do anything for.

He's sixteen now and there have been five more granchildren and they all bring tremendous joy into our lives.

We now want photos of the shawl when it's made and with its owner wearing it when the time comes.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 08:35:35 am »
colliewobbles, congratulations.
I don't have children myself so don't really know what it feels like but have a friend who is expecting her first grandchild also. If the amount of knitting and crocheting she has been doing is anything to go by its going to be one spoilt grandchild.

Yes, definitely want to see pics before and when being worn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS