Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My latest project  (Read 15440 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: My latest project
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2013, 10:41:27 pm »
Go for it, Sandy.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 08:44:30 am »
Sandy,
The rag rugs are so simple to do and the good thing is that they are easy to put down and pick up again just where you left off.  I am sure if you started one you would find a good home for it by the time you have finished.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 09:21:26 am »
I  have only just managed to wash the one I bought years ago....my washing machine does not have a huge drum like one I used to have, also then I have to find a nice warm day...so its washed and dried but still a tad stinky....in this house we have no room for rugs as its shared with our guests and they would say it was a trip hazzard or wee on it....when we move we so want a tiny place and a shed so then I will make one, I did used to make rugs but when I was 20, then they were woolen and expensive to make and they also were heavy, I would have fun making rag ones I know, plus I can cut up all my old to small dresses and jumpers :excited:

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2013, 12:27:11 pm »
Sally,

the rug is FAB, where was the class you took?

I love doing crafts but tend to leave lots of things unfinished because I don't spend enough time on it, I need a class to make me set aside the time and gives me a break from the farm.

Clarebell that is lovely too!

In Carmarthen and Swansea there's a place you can get all sorts of crafty bits and quite cheaply, called Trysordy (Welsh for 'treasure') They Carmarthen one is better and they don't make you pay a joining fee.

They have these frayed lengths of woven type fabric, edges or something or other, I forget, but they make fantastic peg loom or extreme knitting rugs. I saw the same stuff at Wonderwool (although it was proper tweed) for a LOT more money. I got a bin bag full at Trysordy for a few quid!

I'm thinking of some clothing upcycling next as my plans to lose a bit of weight aren't going well but I can't bear to throw anything away or buy new clothes!!!
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2013, 08:46:47 pm »
The class was at Mydfai community centre. The woman who took the class is really into upcycling and has bought in loads of clothes to show us that she has altered in some way.
I've not hear of Trysordy and I was only in Carmarthen yesterday  :( 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »
I once wove a rug out of terry nappies that my youngest had finished with (having boiled them first of course). I sold it in our workshop to a young woman who was looking for a gift for her husband to buy her for her birthday. She loved the idea that it was recycled nappies.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 10:59:57 pm »
I made one in 1970, had it for years. We bought a Irish Setter and he took a liking to it, back to rags once more

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 06:43:03 am »
I once wove a rug out of terry nappies that my youngest had finished with (having boiled them first of course). I sold it in our workshop to a young woman who was looking for a gift for her husband to buy her for her birthday. She loved the idea that it was recycled nappies.

She was very odd, IMO.   :D

I love recycling and upcycling as much as the next person - but used nappies?  :o  And from someone else's baby, too!???

Funnily enough, I am just assessing some Wensleydale fleece I have bought; having washed it I can see it includes quite a bit that's stained with urine, and I'm trying to decide if I want to use it or not.  Part of me says, "Ugh, no way", and another part says, "Why not?  It's washed, there are no germs"...  I'm planning to dye the yarn anyway... :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 09:46:06 am »
If you don't mind wasting a bit of dye Sally I would try it and then see what you think. I would hate to waste it. In victorian times they used urine in the dyemaking process anyway.

When I went to the woolen museum the week before last they were saying that people were paid 1d (old penny) per pot of urine although households where no alcohol was drunk were paid 2d per pot as the urine was purer.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 10:46:37 am »
Brilliant, Sally!   :thumbsup:  Now I shall have no qualms about using it - I have to say, on a few locks I gave an extra wash to, just to see if the staining would come out, the colour has now washed to quite an attractive primrose yellow!  lol.  I shall certainly keep locks which are nice fibre, just a bit stained, and be happy with any variation in the dyed yarn as 'adding character'  ;) :-J
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ferretkeeper

• Joined May 2013
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Brecon View Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 11:09:48 am »
here's the link, it's just outside Carmarthen, beware it is pretty cold in the warehouse bit!

http://www.trysordy.org.uk/eng/

Hmmm, I met a lady called Hannah at the Gower Heritage Museum a couple of weekends ago, it was Wool Week. She did spinning, dyeing, weaving and indeed upcycling - wonder if that was her?

She lives really near our village and our Crafty Bitches group are planning to invite her to one of our sessions to do a bit of something new. She was interested in my Iron Age pigs because they do the medieval re-enactment things!
breconviewfarm.co.uk Rare breed, free range.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 11:22:05 am »
Ferretkeeper, that place looks fabulous  :thumbsup: .  Definitely going there soon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS