Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My latest project  (Read 15437 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: My latest project
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 07:36:35 pm »
Russ, I didn't think you could see pics. Glad you like it. 
Been to the charity shops today to collect more material for the next project.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 07:53:29 pm »
It depends how they are put on i think Sally and what type of file etc . Also  i am normally on mobile mode , no pics at all , but if i go onto full version pics load then , sometimes .
Being a hand washer i only do dark greens , blues and shades of black , but i do like other colours . Your colour mix in the rug is really nice .
If i made something like that it would just be like army camo !

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 08:38:37 pm »
Those colours remind me of a rose garden, love them, do soldiers ever hide in roses?

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 08:57:50 pm »
They probably wished they could have in Towton in 1461 , one of the battles in the wars of the Roses .
The ground and the river , ran red with the blood ,  of Englishman killing Englishman .

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 05:36:28 am »
Now that rug is an eye opener. Beautiful work. I would love to see rustyme wearing it.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 09:58:01 am »
It's beautiful  :trophy: .

I made a rag rug for my daughter's room using clothes that she had grown out of, so all pinks, purples and green. She wanted me to enter something in the village show (the children always enter lots of classes) so we entered the rug in the "something new from something old" class and came first. She was really pleased.

I made one in blues for my son's room but he says it's too "girlie"  ::) , so it lives in the guest room.

I'm in the middle of 2 others. Have to keep waiting for the children to grow out of clothes or family to send bags of old stuff. Enjoy them but they seem to take forever to complete.  ::)

My dad remembers his mum always having "one on the go" and the children all helping with it in the winter when they couldn't get outside.  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 11:18:07 am »
Can't believe I missed this post before - Its fantastic, really really lovely!!!  Sally, can you teach me  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 02:27:20 pm »
Plums, its the easiest thing you will ever do, believe me.
You need a bodger (quite expensive about £16) and then some hessian, some old clothes cut into little pieces, about 1 inch by 3 inches, and off you go. Just stick the bodger through the hessian, open the clasp, grip the material and pull it half way through and you have your first piece done.
My friend is making one too and she says her daughter does one end while she does the other. Your girls could get involved too.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 04:04:26 pm »
Thank you  :thumbsup:  I have some hessian here (I wrap soap in it!) looking forward to trying that.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 05:54:19 pm »
Got loads of old clothes (not only past their best, but definitely past their second best - full of holes!) - so maybe this is something I should take up...

Very beautiful, your rug. Not exactly my colours normally, but this does look nice.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:57:53 pm by Ina »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 05:56:42 pm »

Very beautiful, your rug. Not exactly my colours normally, but this does look nice.
Ina, there were a class of 8 of us who started making the rugs. Every rug is completely different. Its interesting to see what colours and patterns people have chosen. Mine is by far the 'loudest'  ;D

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:21 pm »
My dad remembers his mum always having "one on the go" and the children all helping with it in the winter when they couldn't get outside.  ;D
THose were the days. I used ti clip "clips" for my mother. It was learning by play -counting, dividing , sorting by colour - keeping my brother amused by letting him take them back and forth with his tractor and trailer. She also made a rug for him with roads and fields so he could be a farmer

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 07:23:29 am »
by the way, for anyone wanting to try it. I do not use a bodger. When I started my rug I couldnt find one anywhere so I improvised by using a pair of tweezers and they work great!

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 07:26:15 pm »
I am now working on my first rag rug using a latch hook from ebay... It was £2.70 - It works really well & I'm going to get a couple more so the kids can join in.   If my rug turns out half as good as yours I'll be happy!
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 10:12:14 pm »
My OH found a hole in a tee-shirt the other day so he said it was one for the bin. "Don't you dare," I said. "It can be washed and turned into a rug." I'm planning on doing mine on my new pegloom although I now fancy doing one like Sally's.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS