Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rescue hens imminent  (Read 1358 times)

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
rescue hens imminent
« on: April 27, 2013, 01:43:12 pm »
As previously posted, our hens are arriving on 12th all being well.

They are coming from bhwt. I would like to know if I should be ready to worm them when they arrive and dust them for mites, or will they have been done? Also please do loads on anything else you think may be helpful, I have no experience with hens whatsoever.

I want to make sure I get everything right!
Thanks everyone  :thumbsup:

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
Re: rescue hens imminent
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 06:02:11 pm »
BHWT will tell you if they have been wormed or not.  Start with layer mash mixed with a little layer pellets - they don't recognise layer pellets as food 'cos they only get mash in the intensive farm.  Then gradually increase percentage of pellets - we have found they get used to it pretty quickly.  We had a girl with a prolapse from our most recent lot, first time we had experienced this - look out for a messy, protruding bottom and sticky feathers - if this should happen there is lots of advice on here and other sites of how to deal with it.

We also put some poultry tonic in their water for the first few days to help build them up.  They won't 'know' they have to go to bed at dusk so will need putting into the hen house for the first few days - took ours about a week to get completely used to the idea. 

Useful to rub all perches and especially nooks and crannies with mite powder to prevent infestation in the first place.  Also, totally clean out and allow house to dry weekly.

We use builders sand on the floor of our house - makes cleaning daily droppings easy as it's like scooping up from a cat litter tray!

I'm sure there will be others along with other advice too - this is just what we have found from keeping rescued hens.

Donna 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS