Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody  (Read 1414 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Broody
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:33 pm »
Bloody typical....just got a broody hen and the ducks stopped laying...grrr don't u hate it when a plan doesn't cum together... Was gonna get broody to incubate sum duck eggs :-J

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Broody
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:18:00 pm »
Why have they stopped laying? Surely not for the year? Mine are just churning them out at the moment. Even the goose that I thought had stopped laying has just laid another couple.

Can you buy some hatching eggs in? Out of five hens, I've got/had three broodies so far this season - one now has her duckling (only one) after 35 days of sitting, one has been sitting for 30 days and has just under three weeks left on chicken eggs (first fertile duck egg failed to hatch and then she had an infertile set) and one has only just gone broody but is sitting on some of our own duck eggs (and I think I might have seen some evidence of fertility this morning - yay!). I find it all a bit stressful but I think it'll be easier once they've all got a hatch under their belts and I know they can cope!

H

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
Re: Broody
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:50:11 am »
Yep chooks are not too good at timing.....just set the incy going and my youngest hen has gone broody (don't think Ill risk swapping the hatches over though as ive got bought in eggs indoors, Ill just let her hatch whatever she has (note to self to set up separate broody box to stop any more additions)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS