Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I need Egg Recipes for LOTS of eggs  (Read 17433 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
I need Egg Recipes for LOTS of eggs
« on: April 25, 2013, 01:32:21 pm »
I have more than 3, yes three bucketfuls of eggs most of which are likely to end up getting thrown unless I can find some more recipes that each use up a lot of eggs. And the girls are announcing the arrival of more.........

Searching the internet, most recipes call for just a couple of eggs. Only pasta dough seems to use up a decent amount.

I give away as many as I can - by the bucketful - but need more recipes (and if they are suitable for the freezer, so much the better).

Got any recipes to share?

:hungry:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: I need Egg Recipes for LOTS of eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:51:17 pm »
I was in much the same boat, although didn't have as many as 3 bucketfulls of eggs.  I decided to put some outside with an honesty box, and considering we are on  a single track lane that gets very little traffic I have been pleasantly surprised. At £1 for half dozen I have sold £20 worth in the last six weeks.
Ok, so I won't be in Alan Sugar's bracket any time soon but it is paying for their food.
I have a recipe for a rich lemon curd that takes quite a few eggs. Let me know if you are interested and I will dig it out.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:17:59 pm »
Brioche uses lots of eggs and is delicious! :thumbsup:

Helen

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 02:29:33 pm »
Pickled eggs are always a hit here, ready in a week and gone after a few days

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:35:45 pm »
Just remembered I made an egg curry, got the recipe on line, despite me being sceptical it was delicious.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 02:47:53 pm »
Advocaat. Only uses egg yolk, but the whites are useful for certain recipes, too.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 02:52:00 pm »
I have bucket fulls too.....lemon curd, lemon meringue pie,swiss roll,all use  a fair few eggs, and pancakes .....

My husband has not yet commented on two days running of egg and mayonnaise lunch sandwiches, or the extra large omelette for tea last night.  Wonder if I can get away with another eggy dish ....eggy bread perhaps?!! ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »
We have got egg and chips tonight  ;D

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 03:13:14 pm »
I downsized my chickens after we stopped having a good customer  base in Glasgow when my husbands job was finnished so now I only have 4....but...I did freeze a few eggs, all you need to do is sort of mix the  yolk and white like for an omlet then freeze in a box, I put them all in 6's so I could use them in cooking when we do not have eggs, it worked brilliantly....otherwise, giving them as presents is nice and random too!!!! :thumbsup:   We hope to keep our 4 depending on the type of house and garden we get!!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »
Quiche and pickled eggs are the things I do when I've got a glut.   The pickled eggs keep for ages of course and the quiches I freeze  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 04:14:31 pm »
Thanks folks. Some of those I already make, Crepes we adore and have very regularly, but, a rich Lemon Curd (we love Lemon curd), Brioche (we eat a lot of that), Swiss Roll (kids favourite), and Egg Curry (any curry recipe is well received here) are certainly worth doing. I will look them up.

Quiches - looks like a quiche session is overdue. Broccoli and Stilton, my favourite.

:thumbsup:

And yup, egg and chips for us tonight too.........

Roxy, look up Shakshuka (my recipe uses chilli but you can add other spices/no spices if preferred). One of my all time favourites. Serve with fresh tomato and cucumber in toasted pitta bread. Delicious!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 05:30:19 pm »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46:52 pm »
I've just made a LOT of ice cream.  Recipe calls for 6 egg yolks.  I've made "microwave" meringues with the eggs whites because they keep forever.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 07:41:51 pm »
TORTILLA
I make these for our country market and they use 6 eg6s each go (makes 3 9in round foil dish) tortillas.  Easy peasy - just google for example caramelised onion, goats cheese tortilla; leek tortilla...and so on!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »
Ice Cream, Tortilla's - you guys are brilliant - that's something else we eat loads of.

I've got an ice cream freezer tub but the paddle broke, sure I could get around that though...

Your recipes please       :notworthy: :notworthy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS