Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What did Soreen malt loaf used to be called?  (Read 21754 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
What did Soreen malt loaf used to be called?
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:01:39 pm »
I'm sure it was know by another name once. It's just bugging me. Everyone I've asked say it's always been called Soreen. Am I losing the marbles?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: What did Soreen malt loaf used to be called?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:21:27 pm »
Maybe you are confusing it with Harvo?  :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt_loaf

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:41:57 pm »
It used to be called (by me) a miserable alternative to a proper after school snack which squashes to nothing when your mum cuts you what she laughably referred to as a 'slice'. I used to stick it in the gap behind the kitchen cupboards.....:-O

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:50:07 pm »
My mother seemed to have never ending supply of malt loaf. when I was young.  Can still see it spread with butter, on the table!!  Never knew it by any other name,thought.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:01:37 am »
I think I may be talking out of my arse on this one. I went on the Soreen website and as it's been made and called Soreen for 75 years after the family that started it and I'm only 43 then it doesn't really add up that it was named otherwise. Doh  :dunce:
I like it in small measures only. Tried (as advised on the packet) it toasted and spread with urlyburly (utterlybutterly) t'other day. Bleurgh! It was horrible. Won't be doing that again.

See I am losing it. I'm 44!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:55:03 am »
Tea-time favourites. To get a decent slice you have to cut it horizontally length wise , with thickly spread butter and a nice cup of tea . followed by crumpets swimming in butter and marmite , or toast and patum pepperum ( gentlemans rellish) and then some homemade madelenes or lange du chat and brandy snaps filled with whipped cream. 'scuse me while I go and wipe my chin :excited: :excited: :excited:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 06:58:00 am »
I LOVE Soreen malt loaf, spread with butter its like a squishy taste of heaven!! If anyone has a foolproof (has to be foolproof, i'm a crap baker) recipe for a homemade version I'd love to try it.  :yum:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:04:09 am »
I think Paul Hollywood did one in the bread series that ended on Monday , so it should be on BBC2 I player now, I hope there will be a book out,  :excited:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:06:33 am »
oooh, thanks for that Tiz, I managed to catch a couple of those episodes and have put the book on my amazon wishlist (long with a thousand other books!). I'll make sure that I definately buy it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-Hollywoods-Bread-Hollywood/dp/1408840693/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366869962&sr=1-1&keywords=paul+hollywood

For anyone else whos interested in the book

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 08:09:00 am »
It used to be called (by me) a miserable alternative to a proper after school snack which squashes to nothing when your mum cuts you what she laughably referred to as a 'slice'. I used to stick it in the gap behind the kitchen cupboards.....:-O

That's really made me laugh  ;D  its impossible to cut, my 11 year old is addicted to the stuff and I have to try and gently saw it to keep it unsquashed.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:18:17 am »
I've always known it simply as Malt loaf. Never really knew a brand name until I started buying it again in the last few years. I love it :-)
Rgds
Sskye

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »
i love soreen, i also the the malt bread you get in ireland called veda bread, that u toasted...mmm

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 12:09:54 am »
I think I may be talking out of my arse on this one. I went on the Soreen website and as it's been made and called Soreen for 75 years after the family that started it and I'm only 43 then it doesn't really add up that it was named otherwise. Doh  :dunce:
I like it in small measures only. Tried (as advised on the packet) it toasted and spread with urlyburly (utterlybutterly) t'other day. Bleurgh! It was horrible. Won't be doing that again.

See I am losing it. I'm 44!

:roflanim: :roflanim:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 10:57:50 am »
I love the way malt loaf sticks to your teeth, it means you get seconds and thirds during the day without actually eating any more bread! You cant get it over here, so Ill have to remember it for when the family next come visiting!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 11:15:26 am »
I like it but then not that much, the butter has to drip down your chin, messy stuff and my mum used to call it Bara Brith, she was welsh and thats what we thought it was!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS