Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: flock moved to new field, all now dirty rear ends?  (Read 7896 times)

muddyhill

• Joined Feb 2013
flock moved to new field, all now dirty rear ends?
« on: April 24, 2013, 02:50:13 pm »
Hello,

I'm very new to this sheep business, I've a small flock of 6 ryeland shrposhire x ewe lambs. They've been with me about 6 weeks and been fine until yesterday.

I moved them into a new field on Sunday and they now all have dirty rear ends and loose green poo.

They've got access to clean water, the only difference is the field.  I haven't wormed them yet but wanted some advice... should I be worrying (I am!) what should I do?

My helpful neighbour is away today so I can't ask him... all advice welcome!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: flock moved to new field, all now dirty rear ends?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 02:58:08 pm »
Novice sheep keeper here too but guessing ...... new green grass. We have a teeny bit of new growth and for the first time this morning have noticed some loose motions and dirty bums.

Mine are due a worm and fluke drench so going ahead with that at the weekend but think it's change of diet after living mostly on hay.  ::)

I'm keeping the hay going as still not much grass and think this should help to keep them a bit drier.

Sure an experienced keeper will be along soon.  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:00:26 pm »
We have loose green bums too. Been dagging this morning. Same happened last year when new grass suddenly appeared.
Been advised to have a high Mag lick for them to help, loads of clean water and dagged bums to try prevent flies laying.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »
no need to worry.  Probably the grass.  I used to milk cows and guess who was the greenest  and smelliest at the end of milking at turnout! 

May be worth a faecal sample to vet to see if wormer/fluke drench needed ... better than just drenching and encouraging resistant worms.

Linda
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 04:38:37 pm »
would strongly agree with Linda about the sampling and lab test - areas that have never had fluke are just overwhelmed with it after last years wet weather so it is a real possibility and it is critical that they are treated for it, but just as critical to use the right product for the type you have and the lifecycle stage it is at in order to make it effective and minimise just creating resistance to the drugs which is a huge and growing issue.
I speak as someone who is suffering what we think could be a fluke outbreak in newly lambed ewes on previously never flukey ground and waiting for the call from the lab to tell me what they have found.
It could just be the new grass too but I would check for fluke if you havent done it especially with a new herd.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 04:52:56 pm »
Hi - I didnt think Faecal egg counts could ID fluke?  Ive being doing FECs but going on vets advice for area fluking (says yes for us) - but Id love to go on fact and wondered if it were a matter of me asking for a different/extra test.  Also, on collecting Poo for FEC, the method vet explained (jet wash hardstanding, pen sheep on area for a few hours, colllect po in bucket, mix and then take sample) - I just cant do (I barely have penning sorted, let alone hardstanding)!  What do people with sheep on a field do?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 05:02:17 pm »
I have a box of latex gloves and my procedure is this:

Walk round field.
Spot a sheep pooing.
Pick it up.
Knot latex glove with poo in.
Repeat x 10.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 05:32:48 pm »
Hi - I didnt think Faecal egg counts could ID fluke?  Ive being doing FECs but going on vets advice for area fluking (says yes for us) - but Id love to go on fact and wondered if it were a matter of me asking for a different/extra test.  Also, on collecting Poo for FEC, the method vet explained (jet wash hardstanding, pen sheep on area for a few hours, colllect po in bucket, mix and then take sample) - I just cant do (I barely have penning sorted, let alone hardstanding)!  What do people with sheep on a field do?
The samples from our sheep have gone off to a lab, even tho the vets I think do FECs themselves, so it may be that it is a different/extra test and maybe needs more sophisticated equipment. I will feed back on what they come back with and also what the cost (urrrggghh) is for the testing.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 06:56:55 pm »
I have a box of latex gloves and my procedure is this:

Walk round field.
Spot a sheep pooing.
Pick it up.
Knot latex glove with poo in.
Repeat x 10.
;D ;D   Thats what I have been doing - but was worried that sods law I will pick the non wormy sheep...  and not be representative sample but if its good enough for you, its good enough for me!  NOt had to worm yet.    Im moving mine next week so standing by for t

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 08:58:30 am »
Not sure how relevant this might be, but I spotted it when I was ordering tags -

https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/worm-count-kit-p-2242.html

It might be cheaper than the vet? maybe Gareth (SFS) could answer if he's about on this thread?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:05:52 am »
thanks plums that is cheaper than my last vet one (£16) - but I guess they do dispense advice too on what to do with the results.  Anyone know latin name for flukeworm????!!! ???

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26:28 am »
I would say almost certainly new grass - mine were all wormed before turning out on new pasture and now they nearly all have green bums!  I spent all Tuesday dagging them and even ended up sunburned!

No harm in testing for worms though to be sure.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 09:57:10 am »
My lab results have come back with no fluke (hurrah, land is still non flakey) but there are some worms at a level that needs worming so wormer on order. Going to worm count from now on like we do for the horses (haven't had any worm probs before but best to be safe)? But happy that it wasn't fluke after all.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 10:41:05 am »
How much for the fluke test?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 10:56:22 am »
Haven't had the bill yet but will post once I know. .... Gulp....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS