Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Currants - recipe help needed  (Read 3492 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Red Currants - recipe help needed
« on: July 06, 2009, 01:40:59 pm »
Hi

my red currants have come good and i'm wanting to consume them

I was looking for a recipe for either a lamb leg/shank or some venison that used red currants.

but all the recipes i can find use redcurrant jelly. I don't want to make jelly 1st, i just want to use my redcurrants

any hints/tips/recipes that i can get cracking on with now?

thanks

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Red Currants - recipe help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:40:20 pm »
no need to make jelly for a sauce - just boil some handfuls up with a bit of salt and sugar to taste, after a minute or 2 strain/squeeze through a metal sieve. Maybe you don't even have to bother with straining them if you don't mind the seeds. That's it. We love this one with salmon or trout, but it would work equally with meat I believe. :&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:58:17 pm »
yeah, i kinda thought that might do it

i'll get them boiled up tonight and add some sugar as i know they can be a bit tart

will marinade my lamb in some red wine garlic and rosemary tonight and i'll add the red currant juice tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:08:18 pm »
They are lovely as an ingredient in summer pudding too. HFW recommends redcurrant and raspberry summer pudding.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:13:35 pm »
if you like the sauce more concentrated you can reduce it down after straining it. :&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:51:13 pm »
that's exactly what i did, what a difference

tastes lovely, looking forward to a big lamb shank in red wine and redcurrant sauce tomorrow

the garlic, rosemary, carrots, tatties, red currants are all out my own garden - just the mushrooms and green beans that are being brought in

pudding is strawberries with homemade strawberry ice cream and crushed up merangues

yum!!!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 11:12:17 am »
Right everyone

wee update on my dinner - it was delicious - it tasted exactly like I had in my mind when i was planning it :-)

So, dinner was

2 lamb shamnks - bone in - marinaded overnight in Garlic and rosemary (next time i'm gonna try it in mint as i've seen a few red currant and mint recipes) and a nice Rioja

i took a wee tub of redcurrants and boiled the beejesus out of them!! strained them through a sieve. I used a bit too much water, next time i'll use a lot less water!!

I added sugar until the edge was taken off it - i noticed as it simmered away there was a bit of a rhubarby smell.

then i left hte liquid to cool overnight in the firdge.

Next day, i chopped some garlic,onions, fennel, a wee chilli (probably best without that next time) some bacon and gave the lot a quick stir fry in a big wok - i added some of th ewine tht the lamb was marinading in overnight and brought that to the boil then put it into a big casserole pot.

i quickly sealed the lamb in the wok and chucked that in the casserole dish too.

I added the rest of the wine from the marinade and a little beef stock so that the lamb was covered in teh casserole dish

popped it in the over for 3 hours then added the red currant jus, some carrots and mushrooms and cooked for another 20 mins.

served with tatties and garlic bread - was GORGEOUS!!!

will be trying that again!!! Maybe with Venison next time

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 10:18:22 pm »
you don't need any water for the currants, Chris - just add some sugar a few hours before you cook them and it will draw all the liquid you need to boil them up.
sound delicious all and all - how about a restaurant?? :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS