Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potatoes  (Read 11681 times)

JustinFun

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Gillingham, Kent
Potatoes
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:44:38 am »
It's almostthat time of year again - what varieties do people recommend?

We had a brilliant crop of pink fir apple last year (delicious!) - I've been singing the praises of that variety to everyone I meet ever since, and we're definitely going to grow a lot of them this year.

Maris Peer were very disappointing - not sure why, but the texture was all wrong (when cooked, sort of dry and crumbly) and the yield not great either. Pink Fir Apple, which is supposed to be low yield, did very well for us.

I'd like to grow something for big baked spuds this year, but I'm not sure what's a good variety for that.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:37:11 pm »
We grew Red Duke of York last year - and will agin this year. We grew Cara, which yielded really well and was great for baked potatoes. Desiree is a great roaster, so that's in this year along with Mayan Gold.

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:30:09 am »
The weather is supposed to be nice again by the end of next week so I think I will plant mine then, they are chitting away in the laundry room at the moment!  I chose Bintje as out of all the seed potatoes for sale in the shop at the time they were supposed to grow the biggest with thickest skins (hence jacket spuds) (according to the poster on the wall anyway).  Have since seen bags of Bintje potatoes for sale in the Intermarche and they had some nice bigguns in there so fingers crossed! ;D
Hilary

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »
The variety is staggering - takes me ages to decide, then I hear what others have and I think again and so on. Dan's much more decisive - Red Duke of York and Desiree - but I'm scared I'm missing something!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:57:53 pm »
lol comonoly super markets one (well i got a load from a big potatoe sack i bought and my mum had somenice deirese (spelling) that she got form supper market, I relented and bought 10 tattied from ebay of pink fur apples. All tatties apart from the pink are in the buckets (i grow them that way as the area is very windy and open so liable to blightly which got them all last year in front garden. Am thinking of putting my name down for a alloment so i can grow more things in a better area.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:33:11 pm »
I ordered my potatoes online yesterday...

Early Arran Pilot
Main Crop Desiree
& some Fir Pink Apple (cause everyone here says theya re fab  :)  )

I plan to grow them in potato bags (special bags for growing potatoes) that I bought last year, they are dark green and quite durable with ample drainage holes in the bottom and will last a good few years... as space is limited for tattie growing in my garden.

What other things do people grow theirs in.. i'd heard that tyres are good?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 01:51:38 pm »
Any spare space! We've a border created for a hedge but we can't plant that until the Autumn, so it's got spuds in it meantime.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 06:40:59 pm »
I've grown potatoes in dustbins,tyre stacks (they're the easiest way) and in tomato grow bags stood on their ends.  Most garages pay to have their old tyres taken away and will only be too pleased for you to take some,need about 5 for a decent crop.Start off with one,and each time they need earthing up,add another and infil with soil. Harvesting is fab and great for the kids too,just tip it all over onto a tarp and let 'em hunt for the spuds.
Think I might start a thread.... 101 uses for an old tyre...... ;D
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 08:57:14 pm »
For teaching your horse to drag things.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:57:37 am »
ummmmmmmm this is were people find am a total loop fruit,  I found some big drums on the side of the road A9 coming home form perth one day the are the drums that you uses for chlorided  (the stuff you put in swimming pools) so I stopped the car and jumpped out and grabbed them all from the side of the road. Got them  home cleaned them with washing up liquid to start with in case their was reaching then disinfectate then bleach just to make sure it was clean and wont affect the plants which will be going it it. I drilled and melted holes in them, I used a household drill and souldering iron as i find some time to drill can brake the plastic and the souldering iron melts the plastic away . Just remember to do it all outside because of fumes.

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »
Say you plant in tyres, do you plant in one and then as the plant grows put another tyre on top and earth up to it and allow the plant to shoot up. I remember growing them as a kid but it was many years ago.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:49:43 pm »
yeah that the basics never used tyres as most place around here don't like to give them away !!! due to eu ruling about recycling and controdule substances.
Linz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 07:27:43 pm »
You are joking, Linz. I wanted some for Smokey's play area and the guy along the road said I could have as many as I wanted.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 07:30:40 pm »
okay i'll race you to it lol.
When i have asked before i have always been quote eu reg and rules at me.
maybe am asking the wrong people!!!.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS