Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: first time prospective pony owner  (Read 3935 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
first time prospective pony owner
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:43 am »
Good morning all. Im looking at getting a pony for my 7 year old daughter and wife to use and share. The better half has some riding experience, but my little un hasn't. So im after some advice about breed, type and age please. Obviously temperament is all important, and I read that an older pony tends to be more calm and experienced for novices. Needing some sage wisdom folks, and would prefer a smaller type animal (the boss is only petite). And before you ask, yep know about the commitment (dogs,sheep,pigs). Thanks  :thinking:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: first time prospective pony owner
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:00:40 am »
It might be worth going through the local pony club or riding clubs to track down a gem. For a first pony an older pony is probably the best option, one of them needs to be experienced :-)) finding one that is outgrown or child is doing more advanced stuff would be the ideal.

It's a tricky combo to get something that is big enough for an adult but small and quiet enough for a 7 year old. You could look at something native like a Fell, Connemara or welsh section D (highland might be a bit wide for the 7 yos legs,) or one of the popular foreign breeds such as Fjord, Haflinger or a gypsy cob type. All could carry a reasonably lightweight woman as well as a child. The UK natives could be shown if registered too.

Try and get one which is outgrown, don't be tempted by anything cheap, driving experience only or sold from the field. If possible, maybe try to get on loan initially, with view to buy.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:07:40 am »
First and foremost, horses are herd animals so need company of their own kind to be happy.  If you don't want two, perhaps you can find another similar family locally to share grazing?

Secondly, I have Fells and can't rate them highly enough.  My Fells are hardy, clever, sensible  :love: :horse:

I guess Exmoors would be equally suitable if you're southerly rather than northerly; or Highlands if you're in Scotland.  (If you're in Wales, you'll have to ask someone else - there are just too many types and categories of Welsh ponies for me to understand  :dunce:.) 

All native ponies are "good do-ers", meaning you have to be careful to not let them get too much rich grass and mustn't feed them much if anything in the way of concentrates.

Another approach, which I would certainly explore, would be to see if your local riding school or trekking centre has a pony ready to move on to lighter duties.  Others more experienced with older ponies will be along shortly to advise you on vet checks, likely health issues, etc, if you went that route.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:01:12 pm »
Whatever you choose to go and see take an experienced person with you. what may seem the ideal pony to you could come with loads of problems. Native or part bred native are cheaper to keep and seem to stay sound and in good health. As said before they need to have a check kept on their weight as they can get very fat quickly ( that in itself can cause heath problems ). Most can live out all year round. Do you have the time for your own pony, can you afford hay, blacksmith, worming , injections.  Is the field where the pony would be kept safe, well fenced, has water and shelter from weather. Most good ponies are sold by word of mouth so get in touch with your local pony club.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34:58 pm »
I suggest you either spend time at the local stables to learn the ropes about horses and riding or ask a horse rescue then at least you will get some back up if things go wrong ;)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:16:09 pm »
One option would be doing BHS stage 1 At a local college, which includes riding and stable management (tack, feed and nutrition etc), which you can do as an evening course. Even if you don't do the stage 1 exam at the end it is a subsidised way to ride and it can also be very informative. I did this before getting my first horse at the grand old age of 30.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:56:04 am »
There's also a BHS Horse Owners course which covers a lot of horsey stuff but with no riding.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 12:48:30 pm »
with your admitted lack of experience, I would suggest you locate and attend regulary your local and best reputed equine establishment, if you tell me your area I can suggest some for you. Breed/type is completely irrelevant, but temprement / experience and health status is your primary concern when purchasing a pony for a child.

Meanwhile, also please contact the World Horse Welfare most local to you, they have hundreds of unwanted ponies seeking homes as companions and pets, this for you could be a great start and they will also assess if you are "ready, or should I say prepared ;) to enter the pony ownership world,

good luck
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:50:43 pm by Mays »

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:05:20 pm »
I bought my first pony 2 years ago.  She is a section a and has been everything we could have hoped for.  She is bombproof, easy to do everything to and is just an all round good pony.  She is 23 now and has seen it all, and taught me and awful lot.

Before getting her, I went to an adult pony club where we learnt the basics of pony care.  I also have good support in my friend, who happens to be my farrier. I have asked him some very random questions, but then he asks random questions about dogs. 

I had someone come with me to check her out as i didn't know the first thing to look for.

It is the best thing we have ever done and she is a big part of our family.  She never lived with other ponies in her previous home because she didn't lime them!  She lives with a pygmy goat, who are inseparable, and soon to be golden guernsey goat.

I was atotal novice, and consider myself to still be a novice so it's nice to be able to ask someone.  My advice is to find "a someone" to help you with.

Helen

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:11 pm »
BHS Horse Owners Certificates. Don't bother. Get some proper hands on experience then take the exams if you want to, you'll go into them with more knowledge and confidence under your belt and will be less likely to be one of the 40% that fail.

I too suggest riding at a good riding school. Get some experience before taking any exams or buying an equine. Horses are expensive animals to keep and as already said, are herd animals so keeping it on it's own isn't ideal. I know there are ponies out there that can carry weight but reading the original post I think we are talking two different ponies here. I suggest buy two (and solve the company problem), and get two equines more suited in experience and size to their respective riders.

Hope all goes well.   :horse:

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:47 pm »
I agree with OLLA

BHS, waste of money.  look about and ask local horse owners if they need a hand.  this will get you the hands on experience, mucking out, bedding down, bringing in from field, and out again, all useful experience when they are a bit fresh.  If you lived near me i would take you on tomorrow!

a nice lead rein/first pony for your daughter and a nice small cobby type for your wife would be ideal, and local people would know if there is anything suitable.

Goodluck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS