Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: please buy british milk  (Read 6024 times)

gillian

• Joined Aug 2008
please buy british milk
« on: July 06, 2009, 07:29:50 pm »
Just a request to everyone to buy milk marked British.  My uncle is English dairy farmer and has had to find a new buyer as the one he was supplying wanted him to change his tanks to store 3 days worth of milk and add more preservatives to keep their costs down, he refused as he thinks milk should be fresh daily so they were dropped for imported milk supplier.  If you want to buy fresh milk make sure British.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: please buy british milk
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:32:32 pm »
I always buy British milk, butter, cheese and yogurt.

smithy1949

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:57 pm »
Hello,

I totally agree. People need to realise that a quality product cannot be got for peanuts. So long as the large supermarkets hoodwink the consumer I cannot see it improving. People need to ensure that they support the British farmer and demand British produce.

Regards

Tony

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:09:30 pm »
Me too - as a help to others do we have any names of non british produce?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:15:11 am »
http://www.milklink.co.uk/ they are a west country farmer co op, the site details cheese that is made using the milk. Dads contract is for liquid milk and they collect every day so it is as fresh as possible.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:55:50 am »
I always buy British milk, dairy and veggies wherever possible.  It's about time the big supermarkets got caught out with people power, and I think its about time for a boycott of supermarkets who don't buy British milk.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 04:38:04 pm »
I always try to buy British milk and food if at all possible - sometimes its not easy to tell if it is actually British on some items.  I believe in supporting the British farmers, and do not agree with all the imported stuff.

I was really chuffed the other day to buy some salad items that were grown not far from me in Lancashire - thats another thing, I try to support local growers too.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:15:39 pm »
Go the whole way and buy LOCALLY produced milk, cheese, beef, pork, lamb, vegetables, eggs, etc;....its all there you just have to find it...keep it local, no matter where you live!

Farmer
 :farmer:

P.S. Vested interest - producer and Farm Shop owner...but a heart felt plea nevertheless!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:01:33 pm »
up here we can't buy Shetland lamb from the two supermarkets our slaughterhouses don't meet there standards. they do supply the other 3 butchers quite safely. how odd that we as a large sheep growing county cant sell our own lamb just new zealands. even odder that th EU stopped our charitable trust investing 2 million in a new slaughter house. state aid and all that. but i did not notice any problems with the banks getting money.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »
a better title for this thread would be "please buy local produce" (considering i live in ireland LOL!) and not just any local produce, try to buy the best of your local produce and reward those people who have put in that little bit of extra effort into the food that ends up on your plate; even if it costs a little more......
GEM. X

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:33:54 pm »
I'm right there with you Gem...

Farmer
 :farmer:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 12:25:54 pm »
I have been buying local for years, even christmas shopping its the only way to keep small towns and villages going. I prefer to know where my food comes from  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS