Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hanging the carcass- how long?  (Read 4754 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Hanging the carcass- how long?
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:35:03 pm »
Just out of interest, when you all send lambs off to slaughter, how long is the carcass hung for? I think ours were killed last year on a Tuesday and cut on the Friday morning, so 3 days, and the meat was excellent. I was in the supermarket the other day and found some lamb shoulder joints, with a sticker on with price/weight etc, and the kill and cut dates- which were both the same  :-\  so maybe that's half the reason home produced lamb tastes better (along with slower finishing times, good grass etc). What are everyone's thoughts on hanging time- how long are yous all hung for?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Hanging the carcass- how long?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »
I used to ask for 10 days, though it was mostly shorter.  When I did home kill I would go by the temp and weather.

They were Black Welsh Mountain, which is pretty fat free so I would guess breed would make a difference.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:12:19 pm »
We ask for 7 days for our Heb hogget, but it ends up being 5 - in on Wed, cut on Mon.  I think it does make a difference, as well as good rearing practice on grass and a skilled butcher.  Heb is usually fat free - I say usually because the last lot were a bit fatty, maybe from all that extra rain so they could have gone off a bit earlier than our usual 14 months.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:25:44 pm »
Normally a week for ours

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:02:27 pm »
We normally have ours hung for around a week if we can, the abattoir butcher will try and do it sooner than that, however we usually have the abattoir deliver the carcasses to another master butcher and they are really good at advising us on the appropriate length of time to hang the meat, so if it needs a couple of days more than a week then they will advise us. I am not really sure what the criteria are though(!) however I think hogget is better hung for slightly longer?

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »
7 days for our pure Greyface Dartmoors. I send the ram lambs on by Christmas, then any female rejects I keep until the following spring and send on as hoggets.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS