Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Easy question about turning out ewes/lambs after lambing shed  (Read 3925 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
This is the first year I've had the lambing shed.

First ewe and lamb went out about 5 weeks ago. They have a small field (approx 2 acres) all to themselves. Now the next lamb has arrived - how long should I leave it before the ewe and her lamb join them?

And:

When they do join them, should I close the two of them in their division of the shelter each night (if so, for how many nights). or leave them to roam in/out at will? Minimum night temperature is about 7 deg at the moment, some light rain from time to time.

Shelter is nice and airy, open fronted, with sheep hurdles as doors when necessary.

Wether and last years lambs are in adjacent field.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Easy question about turning out ewes/lambs after lambing shed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:53:44 am »
Younger lambs joining older lambs will need to be strong on their feet; ideally you wouldn't mix ages to that extent but I know it isn't always possible to keep peer groups as you might wish.

So I'd want strong lambs, running with mum well, mother doing her job properly - looking for the lambs, bringing them along with her - before turning them out with older lambs.  Probably not less than 48 hours.  If you have any worries then by all means bring them in at night for a few nights.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 10:02:57 am »
As Sally says I would turn the new lambs out when they are strong enough, suckling well and bonded properly with their mums - usually if things go to plan it's around 2/3 days.  Some lambs are a bit weaker with their suckling reflexes and take a bit longer, or if they're a bit compromised physically.

I personally wouldn't bother with bringing them back in at night, unless the weather turned very bad.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:07:51 am »
Local farmer told me not to bring them back in at night once they are out as it can cause a chill. However, being a softie I did do it for a couple of nights.
I have just let my last lamb out for the first time. He was born on Tuesday afternoon and is a big lad so already quite strong. He certainly has a will of his own. Anyway, I have left the stable open so mum can choose where she wants to go with him. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:21:16 am »
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I've also got a 3rd adjacent field of about 2 acres which is allocated purely for the sheep, again with it's own shelter and totally ungrazed. It's getting pretty green and lush in there now.

So, I'm thinking it might then be best to put the new lamb and mum in there at the weekend? And let the older lamb and mum join them in a couple of weeks time?

That will give the field that is being grazed by the older lamb and mum a bit of a rest too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:24:29 am »
That sounds like a good plan OhLaLa :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS