Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gretchen-how can I help her? She's died  (Read 10539 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Gretchen-how can I help her? She's died
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:30:46 pm »
Gretchen our little ewe lamb is struggling. She was born with very gurgly breathing. We gave her Spectam thinking it was indicative of rattle belly. She seemed better for a day or so but got chesty again. We gave her 1ml of Pen Strep, every other day for six days. She also has a side to side wobble which we've concluded may be swayback. She had a 5ml of Farmer's Choice (contains copper) in the hope that it would help in the absence of any injectable copper. We put her out on the paddock today with her mum and brother as it was sunny and not quite so windy. Though her standing has been for longer periods and I've been excercising her back legs, I was concerned with her tendency to fall over. She can sometimes get up again and at other times just spins round and round on her side on the spot. She tried to stick with mum who she suckles well if she can lean against her a little at the same time. However her brother was going loopy with being outside and mum kept chasing him and Gretchen kept falling. As I picked her up for the umpteenth time I thought her breathing sounded the worst it has yet like someone having a really bad asthma attack, shallow and raspy. Mum wasn't doing very well by her and I figured Gretchen would only end up being a meal for a fox stranded somewhere in the middle of the paddock if she didn't otherwise die of exposure. So, I've brought her in. I made a bit of a big decision to give her a half mil of intramuscular injectable steroid for that awful breathing. She's comfied up in a dog cage and is warm and safe. I'm sure to see her regularly and hold her. She hasn't wanted much from the bottle and I can hear mum outside in the distance calling for her. I really don't know what else to do. I really feel we're going to lose her and I really don't want to  :'(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:26:10 pm by Pedwardine »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Gretchen-how can I help her?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 05:16:44 am »
I can't think of anything you haven't already done.  It's very hard trying to comprehend a situation from a written description - certainly couldn't give guidance on whether this is a one that it's better to let go, or whether she's likely to come right.  You are certainly giving her every chance. :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:29:48 am »
Thanks for replying Sally. I was beginning to think nobody would. If I could get her breathing clearer she'd have a better chance with everything else. I just think she hasn't the capacity to both breathe and suckle. She's so exhausted with the effort of every breath. I've even put some menthol and eucalyptus on her blanket.  I'm ringing the vet this morning, see what they think.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:11:37 am »
If it's swayback the copper deficiency would have been in the ewe's pregnancy and hindered the correct development of her neural network, so nothing to be done on that front, unfortunately.  If she's having breathing problems the lack of oxygen could affect any or all of her vital organs.  If there's something wrong on the outside there's often something wrong on the inside. 

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:17:52 am »
I guess the copper issue is why the vet hasn't come back to me with a drug/product which may help. Got them looking into the breathing problem now. They're a good vets. If there's anything that can be done they'll hopefully find a solution. If not, I'll have to take her for a oneway visit  :'(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:10:36 am »
Thats a lovey picture of her  :fc:  she makes it ok.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 04:20:59 pm »
Vet has said I've done everything he would've tried. We've stomach tube fed her. She hated it-cried alot but she's now a full tum when she had an empty one. More antibiotics later on and another steroid jab tomorrow. All we can do now is hope. I confess I've prayed too  :(
We fell asleep with her cuddled up on my chest earlier. Even in her sleep her breathing doesn't calm down.  :fc:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 04:47:11 pm »
Its good to get confirmation from the vet that you have done everything you could so well done for that. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 04:56:44 pm »
Could she have developed pneumonia as a result of having fluid in her lungs at birth possibly?  If she does have pneumonia she would need a different antibiotic as pencillin isn't effective against pneumonia, and it may be worth trying a different AB if there is some infection going on?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 06:21:18 pm »
This is one of the saddest things i've heard! Got a tear on my eye.

Got everything crossed for you!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 06:36:59 pm »
Thanks Bionic, HF. Blacksheep, if it is pneumonia, I've long acting antibiotics such as Oxytetracycline. I guess it's worth a try hey? As vet said, "It's kill or cure time now".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:41:51 pm by Pedwardine »

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 08:54:59 pm »
Hi, yes nothing to lose now if you try treating for pneumonia just in case.  May be worth getting a dose of something like Draxxin from your vet though to really hit it if it is that, although I wouldn't delay and try the Oxytet now.   Really hope she pulls though for you.  :fc:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:50:57 pm »
Took Gretchen to my lovely neighbours back garden, away from the hustle and madness of our place for some air and some sunshine today. She took a few doddery steps and was certainly alert but THAT breathing. So heartbreaking. I've given her PenStrep today so don't think I can give a L.A. antibiotic as well so I'll do that tomorrow. Can't believe how stupid I was to not provide her with a water bowl. Noticed she looked dry mouthed. I guess I just didn't suss that lambs need water too. After she gulped down the water I tried a bowl of milk thinking 'hey she might just drink for herself this way' but no go. Stomach tubing time again. Poor soul.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 11:00:11 pm »
have been told by our vet that you can give allamycin even if they have had pen and strep, but you may want to ring your vet to double check 

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 12:19:06 am »
Only just catching up, as been house moving.  Sending you lots of  :hug: .This post nearly had me in tears.  You have done all you can for the little one - its so upsetting when these things happen.

I had two goat kids last year (they were two of triplets_)  They must have swallowed fluid at birth, and struggled to suck. I put them on the bottle, and they were terrible at first, unable to suck and breathe.  It was a struggle, and I felt like I was getting nowhere.  The vet gave me jabs for them, and said only to have a tiny hole in their bottle, as they could only drink slow.  Anyway, it was a long haul but they did improve.

Wish I was closer, so I could help.  You must both be exhausted with the lambing. x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS