Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: islands off Scotland..... buying a home there  (Read 16044 times)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Re: islands off Scotland..... buying a home there
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 07:12:27 pm »
Me, because I'd be very responsible (honest)  ;D

rustyme

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 07:15:51 pm »
NOPE ... ME , because I would be MORE responsible !!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 07:54:25 pm »
I think we need to take this to the courts to decide. Err, we don't have those. One of us will need to act as judge... I vote me!

(On a slightly more serious note, for anyone who's perhaps interested in such a society, I would recommend Ayn Rand's Anthem .. it's a short novella, so won't take long to work through.)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 07:59:58 pm »
surely all the big houses would be pulled down and everyone would be given an equal sized property with some land to work?

sandy

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 08:04:40 pm »
I looked on that link for houses for sale and my address came up!! no photo, just some red writing and a different B&B uhhhhh, not sure how that happened but the rest of the houses were correct...Anyway, if we were all wild animals, some would have better shelters than others, some better at providing for their offspring, some fitter etc etc, we are not equal. When I married my ex had a twin brother, both went into the building trade, my ex was very good with money and liked to collect treasures but the other did not care too much what he had as long as he was not hungry and had a warm house, as years passed the poorer brother teased the richer one, my ex, called him mean etc etc yet people envied what he had....nice car, big house etc, Both are very close but very different and I am still in contact with them but as the example shows both had the same start just different charactors and needs so one should not envy the other!!!!!!!!

sandy

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 08:10:54 pm »
Just remembered, the twin used to say " we married the wrong partners as his wife (now ex) was also a bit good with money, he would add, we would be happy and poor and they would be rich and miserable!!!!!!! I am sure there is a happy medium, I think I have that now...

rustyme

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 08:14:35 pm »
everyone will be equal .... but some will be more equal than others..... ::) :o er isn't that how communism works ? Yes .. the good old USSR ....MMMmmmm oh well, maybe not the best example ?

cheers

Russ

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 07:36:23 pm »
Sorry Rosemary, didnt mean to be too harsh. However I still think it is possible to live 6 months a year , here and there AND commit to the area.
 :bouquet:

Both Laura and I have lived in many places, all of which we think we might have made our mark a little.  I lived in Zambia for several years before I met her, and she was living and working in Algeria and then South Korea. Lots of life experiences that have made us what we are....for better or worse !  A wee house in Scotland is therefore a doddle.

Kevin

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 08:33:32 pm »
just watch what day of the week you put your washing out!!!

there are some strange ways up on the western islands!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 09:37:19 pm »
AND which way up you hang your knickers.

rustyme

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:47 pm »
do they still burn those wicker man things up there too ???? :o ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 12:33:08 am »
No, they burn white settlers!!!

funnily enough, The Wicker Man was on telly tonight

rustyme

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 01:04:10 am »
lol... good film ....I seem to remember liking Brits scenes a lot  :love: :o They remade it a few years ago with Nicholas Cage , not seen that one , they say it is crap ?

The song sung at the end of the film is below , first in Middle English , then in Modern English . It is an old English song written in the 13th century ,  possibly by W. de Wycombe.

Sumer is icumen in,
Lhude sing cuccu!
Growež sed and blowež med

And springž že wde nu,
Sing cuccu!
Awe bletež after lomb,
Lhouž after calue cu.
Bulluc stertež, bucke uertež,
Murie sing cuccu!
Cuccu, cuccu, wel singes žu cuccu;

Ne swik žu nauer nu.
Pes:

Sing cuccu nu. Sing cuccu.
Sing cuccu. Sing cuccu nu!

or you may prefer:

Summer is a-coming in,
Loudly sing, Cuckoo!
The seed grows and the meadow
blooms
And the wood springs anew,
Sing, Cuckoo!
The ewe bleats after the lamb
The cow lows after the calf.
The bullock stirs, the stag farts,
Merrily sing, Cuckoo!
Cuckoo, cuckoo, well you sing,
cuckoo;
Don't you ever stop now,

Sing cuckoo now. Sing, Cuckoo.
Sing Cuckoo. Sing cuckoo now!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:13:11 am by rustyme »

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 07:30:57 am »
Terrible accusations flying in here, saying that my house requirements ' look a bit like a shopping list '    ...IT IS A SHOPPING LIST !!   Dear readers, can I help it if I am a highly organised machine ?

How else can I find the perfect home where I can commit myself ( albeit 6 months a year , Rosemary ) to the community ?

Now lets get down to the Wicker man talk. If I lived on an island with that lot I would have to upgrade my shopping list. I would most certainly have to buy the manor house, and prance around like Christopher Lee in a black wig. I would also like to have a girlfriend that lived in a pub across the water , called Britt probably, but a younger version ( eh Russ ) 

Russ would certainly not be invited on my island, as chances are he would want to be lighting big bonfires. Rosemary would be invited and she can go and bond with the ' community ' ...full time !!

Or I could just build a moat around my house in the Ardennes and pretend I am on an island.

Kevin

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 09:30:53 am »

Or I could just build a moat around my house in the Ardennes and pretend I am on an island.

Kevin

Aslong as you didn't become an british MP and uses your expense to do it lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS