Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: islands off Scotland..... buying a home there  (Read 16043 times)

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
islands off Scotland..... buying a home there
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:50:07 am »
After much talk within the family, we have decided to buy a property on an island off Scotland. We will keep our home in the Ardennes but sell our apartment in Brussels, which we use rarely.

Our idea is to spend from June - October in Scotland, and the rest of the year in the Ardennes. As you can see we are not great lovers of heat !  My wife can now work from home full time, which is great.

I would like the following,

Smaller house
prefer stone
two bedrooms max
isolated, preferably near the sea or isolated inland.
no neighbours
land, 1 acre max.

For those of you with knowledge of the islands , which do you prefer ?    I have visited several but certainly not all.

Kevin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: islands off Scotland..... buying a home there
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:14:58 pm »
Must be great to be able to afford two houses, when so many can't afford one.

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:36:31 pm »
Oh dear, is it a crime now ? 

During the 80s and 90s, I spent little on holidays and luxuries. I eyed up the property market in Brussels and bought cheap. Against the flow, Brussels has sky high prices now, due to the influx of EU staff and lobby groups.  Now is the time to sell.

Yes it is great to be able to afford two houses.  My house in the Ardennes I bought 10 years back as a ruin. I rebuilt it myself. I am proud of that. I spent years of my life working on this home. I personally turned a ruin into a splendid house. My efforts, MY efforts allow me now to buy a second home, and any amount of cheap jibes like yours simply bounce off me...

It is a sad reflection on yourself that you get bitter and twisted about this. You don't even know me. Bottom line is that I have put my backbone into keeping my family afloat. I want them to benefit and enjoy a nice little home in bonny Scotland a few months a year. Assuming of course that is ok with you..

Kevin

kevin

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:15:33 pm »
Hiya Kev i don't believe Rosemary is picking on you, You original post did seem like a bit of a shopping list hehe.

I believe if we could afford it,  we would be all in better positions with the housing situation.

(I for one would not have my neighbour , I would have,nt any neighbour if i could help it)

Linz

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:45:32 pm »
Hi Linz...oh s**t , I can feel another apology coming on..also just worked out who she is..

well it was a shopping list !  I am shopping for a house. Baked beans, toilet rolls , mars bars, island houses, whats the difference ?

I still think she was picking on me......a wee bit, as my new to be neighbours will probaby say , assuming they use the telephone, as I dont want them too close.l

Kevin,

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:48:27 pm »
hehe
:)

Can i add my shopping to your list too please

:)
Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 10:51:37 pm »
Knowing Rosemary very well I would say she made what she thought was a plain statement of fact and was not 'getting' at you at all.  And your post does rather look like a shopping list - have you tried all the local estate agents and websites.  I found my present home by spending about a year looking at websites.  I would do so again - there is a lot of information out there.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:15 pm »
Same here, I still look at houses!!! I am sooooo restless, if I had the money I would have loads of homes!!!!!! As much as I did not get on with my ex I felt for him as people were jealous as he appeared to have money BUT I knew he worked very hard for what he had!!!!

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:50:55 pm »
This can be a useful site to use .. it scrapes data off multiple property websites and allows you to search them by text *or map*. Very useful for looking in general areas where you perhaps don't know the road names ... or there aren't any.

http://www.globrix.com/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »
I wasn't getting at you personally and I'm neither bitter nor twisted, nor envious of those who can afford multiple "homes". I'm sure you have worked hard and invested well.

It simply doesn't sit well with me in principle. I believe if you want to commit to a home and community somewhere then do that otherwise just go on holiday there.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:26:35 pm »
I'd love to buy a home on a Scottish Island but hubster thinks it may be a little too remote?  Is that possible?!? Ok, maybe for some but I'd like to try it.  I think he is also apprehensive that the climate may reduce or growing ability.

Anyway, have fun looking!
 ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 04:32:52 pm »
my hubby is the same, I would live in the middle of no where if i could but hubby wants to have a tarmac road close by, lol

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 05:42:05 pm »
property is theft, none of us should own houses!!!!

;D

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 06:18:37 pm »
theft implies the concept of personal ownership, none of us should be able to understand the word!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 07:09:53 pm »
So if no one owns houses, how would they be doled out.  Who would be responsible for the upkeep, and who would get the big houses (i.e. buck house)? :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS