Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I really need to vaccinate?  (Read 3105 times)

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
Do I really need to vaccinate?
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:13 pm »
Hello all, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this please. I have 7 sheep which roam over 3 acres with 2 ponies. The first 5 I bought had been vaccinated with Heptavac P and the annual booster date is coming up. My most recent 2 purchases have not been vaccinated at all, so would need an initial jab and then one a few weeks later. The field next to mine has sheep in and I don't know if they are vaccinated (I will ask). I have no objection to learning how to inject them and/or asking the vet to show me how, but I'm just wondering if it really is necessary given the lowish stocking density and the fact they are not a breeding flock. They are for fleece and my interest only, not for meat and will be with me until they die. My concern is to keep them healthy. Grateful for any thought and views.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Do I really need to vaccinate?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:28:45 pm »
I would inject. The Heptavac I don't think has much to do with stock density but clostridium diseases which seem to be worse with the bad weather. For the sake of £20 is worth it. Only a subcutaneous jab in the neck which is much easier than intramuscular. Just pinch a bit of flesh on neck and put needle in, squirt and done! Only 2ml.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:37:46 pm »
Personally I am in favour of vaccinating as

a). I would never forgive myself if one of my livestock died from a preventable condition and
b). One vets bill is more expensive than a 50ml bottle of Heptavac P+ so even with small numbers, it's worth getting a bottle.

With the weather being what it is these days and many of the sheep being in not-so-good condition after lambing - at least they and the lambs (for a few weeks) are covered and have a bit of help with dealing with commoner infections.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:29:18 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:05:37 pm »
I agree with Scotsgirl and suziequeue.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:27 pm »
Ditto the above.
Also, ask your neighbour if their's are, and if they are, ask if they ever have any left over, that way you could save a few pounds.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »
Ditto on heptavac... i used to keep just three years agon and have alwys done them except for three years ago when we where moving house and moving fields and stock, it all happened at once and i clean forgot, and yes lost two lambs and one Ewe

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 02:22:24 pm »
Even I vaccinate...

Although I don't bother with boosters most of the time. The only time I do double vacc is if I am selling breeding stock for the buyers peace of mind.  This has, however come about following a conversation with an aquaintance who is an immunologist. Its not something I recommend to other people - their stock their risk..

However, the immunologist in question did think that if an animal wasn't going to respond to a vaccine, unless it was compromised the first time, it would be unlikely to respond a second time.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:58:19 pm »
Where abouts are you?
Lots of peeps will be vaccinating soon, and I'm sure they would share a ew doses if it was spare :thumbsup:
Certainly if you are near Somerset i will have some spare next month :wave:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »
I would vaccinate.  Perhaps ask your vet if they will split a bottle with another smallholder :eyelashes:

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19:33 pm »
Thanks all -I will definitely be vaccinating (a pain to have to buy a second bottle to do the repeat dose on just 2 sheep though). I'm sure I read somewhere on here that it was possible to keep the bottle sealed and cool and use it after the 10 hours are up. I am near Towcester if anyone is able to split a bottle? I'll only need 18ml.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:23:36 pm »
Wrap in clingfilm put back in the fridge untill next time - thats what  I do.
Sheep

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 09:14:03 pm »
Some people do, and some people don't, and don't have any problems. Its a personal choice

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS