Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaners south herefordshire?  (Read 2377 times)

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
weaners south herefordshire?
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:13:56 pm »
Hi Folks,

The wife and I are going on a pig keeping course shortly and are hoping to buy a couple of weaners within the next 3-4 weeks.  A pig keeping friend (not very local to us) has suggested a Pietrain X as being a very good pig for us to try for our first couple of weaners.  We're near Ross-on-Wye (southeastern Herefordshire).  Does anyone have any recommendations for breeders who might be able to supply suitable weaners?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: weaners south herefordshire?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:36:04 pm »
Speak to the people in Broom Farm, Peterstow, the gamekeeper Toby who goes there most days keeps some good pigs and you can have some cider while you're there. 

http://www.rosscider.com/

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »
Suggest that there are easier solutions for someone to start with than Pietrain Xs. Go to www.oldspots.org.uk/the-club/club-members/ and you can find local Glos Old Spots breeders. Similarly other rare breeds websites provide similar information and any one of them should be suitable for you to get used to these animals.

Luckyand Annie

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:37:40 am »
 I had pietern x gos last year and was very impressed with them and I would go back to that breed again.  I think that it is also a case of how they are handled up to the time you get them.  I am now much more aware that if they are not taught to respect electric fencing as piglets then you will be forever chasing them around your fields to get them back! 

rudolph76

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:50:47 am »
Hi

We got some pietrain X saddlebacks from a lady near newton cross, not too far from you. Cant remember her deatils  :dunce:  [size=78%]but if you look on pre-loved in herefordshire she has them on there. Lovely pigs, growing a lot bigger than GOS and are very friendly. Also there a few in your area especially[/size][size=78%] if you go towards Glos. area[/size]

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:19:05 pm »
 :raining: Tried Pietrain x Landrace once and hated the whole experience. Pushy, arrogant little blighters. Was glad to be rid of them. Have you tried Wendy Scudamore? She knows lots of people in the area and would be sure to point you in the right direction. Contact details are on her website, http://www.bartonhill.co.uk/
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »
Thanks all for the feedback.  After all that we've bought a couple of pure berkshires from the farm where we did our training course.  They seem very nice folk with very well kept pigs so it made sense to buy those for our first ones. 

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:07:41 pm »
Well done you have chosen the best breed. Enjoy them and look forward to some fantastic pork.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:24:28 pm »
Mmmmmmmm........just finished some cold roast Berkshire loin with Runner Bean Chutney.   :thumbsup:
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS