Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advise on my apple trees please  (Read 3546 times)

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
advise on my apple trees please
« on: July 05, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »
Hi there, can anyone out there give me any advise on planting a small orchard? my local garden centre is closing down due to a major burglary (unfortunately i DID work there, but obviously now will be out of a job when I am recuperated from my op) the thieves cleared out a large section of stock and stole the big blue line trailer (the rotter's). It know it sounds mercenary but I couldn't miss the opportunity to get some cheap apple trees in the closing down sale as we are planning to plant an orchard when we move. we bought 4 apple trees ;
tydemans late orange (eater)
Worcester pearman  (eater)
lanes prince Albert  (cooker)
golden delicious  (eater)
and 1 plum tree - czar
there is already an established apple tree in the area where we will plant the other trees but I've no idea of the variety.
my question is will the varieties which i have bought be sufficient for cross pollination or will we need to buy others? does anybody out there know please????
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:46:51 pm by lara »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: advise on my apple trees please
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »
Get a catalogue from Deacon's fruit nuresry - it has loads of varieties with pollination groups. Only problem is you might be tempted to buy more!

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: advise on my apple trees please
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:42:59 pm »
Thanks Rosemary, will do that, i do think that i'll be going back to the garden centre though before they close to get some more apple trees, they had some Bramley seedlings. maybe can persuade OH to let me get another 4 or 5 and another plum tree as well, they are only £12.00 each in the sale which I think is a good price.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS