Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Springer Spaniel Dog.  (Read 26246 times)

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
Springer Spaniel Dog.
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:40:51 pm »
Most of you may or may not know that I have a springer dog, he will be 2 this year and he is like a loose cannon, he bounces all over the house, barks for scotland, typical springer really... lol

My dilema is apart from the times when he has his mad turns, he can be a very lovable wee chappy and I would really like to see more of the lovable chap, would getting him "done" tober him down a bit or do you think I should  "keep him intact" and wait for the teenager phase to pass?

Has anyone else had their springer boy done and what difference if any did you notice?

rustyme

Re: Springer Spaniel Dog.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:06:58 am »
Hello Townie,
             I have 3 springer boys and they are all intact ! They are 5 now and I am still waiting for them to calm down  :D. I haven't ever had a dog that had the chop , so can't comment on it .  They do calm down a little as the years pass , but not that much ! I wouldn't have them any other way though now. They all absolutely love having kisses and cuddles and fuss in general, then trying to rip eachothers heads off :o ;D ;D They are a real handfull but, I also have a weimaraner girl, and she is out there on Pluto most of the time . So the boys seem quite calm compared to her !!! ::)
        So , I can't answer your question , but , I do know what you are going through !!! Good luck whatever you decide to do !

cheers

Russ

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:12:54 am »
3 springers 2 collies, chihuahua, boxer, and a staffi ;D  am i a sucker for hyper breeds or what ;D ;D none castrated but i did have a collie castrated years ago, vets said he should calm down ??? yeh whatever :-\ made him worse :o
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:31:30 am »
Hi Rustyme..

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated, I must say that I am reluctant to have him done, as I would in time love to have a pup sired by him (pipe dream).

Many years ago I used to have a weimaraner dog, he was a rescue and had been done when he came to me and was a fairly placid calm and obedient dog also a huge fan of hogging all the heat from the front of the fire!

I had a golden retriever dog from a pup that I used to show and he was intact,   That streak of devilment that he showed I can see in the spaniel lol, for instance, when your standing at the back door shouting him in from the garden, its pouring with rain and he comes right up to the doorstep, stops, looks at you and then turns tail and heads back up to the top of the garden, sprins round and looks at you as if to say, you want me in, come and catch me first lol..

Hi dansdans... your house must be like mine with all those dogs.... a madhouse lol   I've got an Irish setter bitch and a springer spaniel bitch too both rescues, and at times it mad lol

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:35:38 pm »
had 7 of ours out at once this afternoon :o fuft talk about sticks of dynamite, all of them like little explosions  ;D all smiling going manic running about for nothing chasing nothing but still racing for it, realy funny to watch!!! none of them cut and wouldnt have them any other way ;D
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 12:52:38 am »
We've got a Pomerranian who we had done to "calm him down" and it didn't make any difference. We found out (after the event) you can ask your vet for hormone tablets to give the effect of a dummy run and if they don't calm him down then nothing will!

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 05:31:22 pm »
Thank you for your imput sam, much appreciated...

I think we are just going to leave him as he is... the lovable rougue  ;D

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 06:29:39 pm »
There are products on the market which may calm him down a little. There are herbal options too but i don't think any of these are suitable for long-term use. I can recommend serene-um for car journeys, visits to the vets etc but wouldn't like to say whether its any good for every day use.

Go to www.petsempawrium.co.uk and have a look at the shop (Shameless Plug, i'm sorry)

Best of luck

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 06:27:04 pm »
We got stuff called Feliway for our old cat, who was an abused stray and it had a remarkable effect on him. There's an euiqvalent for dogs but not sure if it wudl be appropriate - it's really for nervous dogs not tearaways  :)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:32:07 am »
Feliway is more to settle a cat into a new home. It works, using pheremones, by making them think they've been (Sprayed etc) there already and makes the new place seem more familiar. I doubt if it (or a doggie version) would be much use in these circumstances. I'll ask the wife as its more her forte...

mad dogs and us two

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Nr St Hilaire
    • La Croix Bourge
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:27:24 pm »
I have kept working springers for many years and would agree with other posts that whatever you inflict on them to remedy their boisterousness it generally doesn't work.  Also in some cases castration can cause weight gain.  The only sure-fire remedy I know of is to take the dog out for a day's "flushing" on a shoot, then it will be calm for oooh....probably a couple of days!
Ain't life grand!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 01:51:02 pm »
Don't often comment on doggie threads :o as am a dog owner but not an expert :-\
We have a Gordon setter bitch not speyed aged 2 and a Breton spaniel x large beagle type and he is 18 monthe and looks and behaves just like a foxhound :o He is neutered. We also have a very elderly jack russel also 'done' who is the image of a victor meldrewesk grumpy old man!!

They are all daft but lovely. The hound recently went for his jabs and the vet said he was the fittest dog he had seen for a good while with a very low heart rate. Given he's been done he is slim as anything. We used to have a lab who died aged 15 who was also very fit and skinny.....I'm sure that calming does result from neutering but the dogs are then less stressy looking for the opposite sex so a therefore could put on more weight? We just walk the legs off them.....keeps us fit and them fit but knackered!!! ;D ;D ;D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS