Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: There must be a lot of farmers coming out of pigs.  (Read 13877 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: There must be a lot of farmers coming out of pigs.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 06:57:23 pm »
Looks a great set-up you have there - just wondered though if it is OK to have pigs that close to a residential area? 

Donna

Our farm has been here since before 1733, so I hope so.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
Looks a great set-up you have there - just wondered though if it is OK to have pigs that close to a residential area? 

Donna

Our farm has been here since before 1733, so I hope so.

:-J  I'll keep my mouth shut in future.  She looks fab by the way

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 09:13:43 pm »
Looks lovely I'm sure she enjoyed those peelings you made in the shed  :wave:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »
She sure did. ::)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »
Well she certainly doesn't look any the worse following the long journey and the "hiccup" with the trailer.   She'll sleep very soundly tonight as I suspect you will too  :thumbsup:
Mx
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »
Last night was awful here, the winds were horrendous and as well as  one of the chicken sheds having blown over in the night, more importantly, the mains electric fencing unit keeping Prudence the pig in where she should be, had stopped working. The plug was warm to touch but the there wasn't a flashing light on the unit. More to the point, Pru was climbing all over the fence.
I fed her some food and while she was scoffing it, I connected the pig enclosure up to the main unit that we use for the horses. She got a couple of belts off it and now she knows that she missed her chance to get out.

I'll have to get someone to have a look at the defunct unit.

Later on in the morning I watched her inspecting the newly hooked up fence and watched her. She came up to the fence and got a right belt but instead of jumping backwards, she squealed and jumped forwards, clearing the fence. She soon went back into the enclosure for some food and I've since put an extra strand up. She's still in there at the moment.

On the down side, one of my Light Sussex is injured after her chicken shed blew over.

HappyHippy

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 03:10:24 pm »
Hehehe sounds like Pru is going to keep you busy  ;) ;D

Hope your wee Light Sussex pulls through  :fc:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 04:56:17 pm »
I'm off on my travels again tomorrow. I'm fetching Pru  a GOS boyfriend. :excited: I don't mean to put the Kybosh on the relationship, but I'm rather hoping that he'll love her and leave her.  :roflanim:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 08:15:25 pm »
I'm off on my travels again tomorrow. I'm fetching Pru  a GOS boyfriend. :excited: I don't mean to put the Kybosh on the relationship, but I'm rather hoping that he'll love her and leave her.  :roflanim:

There's a name for people like you ........pimp  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Anne

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:47 pm »
There are pigs and then there are pigs, but then, there's Patrick. He's safely at home and I think its safe to say that he's truly humungus! He's definately a big pig and thankfully, he's extremely friendly. :nwink:

There was another bonus for me today too. I went all the way to Shropshire and heard my first cuckoo for a couple of years. Many thanks to Julie Shrops.  :trophy:

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 09:13:38 pm »
Well done John - that's gonna be an excellent litter out of those two.    For info, I've just registered two of Pru's last litter - excellent underlines (one with 14 and one with 16 even teats)  and well marked  :thumbsup: .
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 08:03:32 am »
Keep your fingers crossed, Pru made a scrape in the ground for herself last night and slept out in the open rather than share the pig ark with Patrick. We felt quite sorry for her, she doesn't like him yet and it must have been chilly outside last night.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:02 am »
Keep your fingers crossed, Pru made a scrape in the ground for herself last night and slept out in the open rather than share the pig ark with Patrick. We felt quite sorry for her, she doesn't like him yet and it must have been chilly outside last night.
Love is such a fickle thing  :love:  he's gorgeous. She'll be so in love with him in a day or two, ahh.
We just had two patrick litters and there are some stunners in the litters which we'll be bringing to the 3counties show in June.
mandy :pig:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 11:14:10 am »
Fingers crossed that in a few months time you GOS people will be looking at photos to try and help me decide which piglets to keep and which ones to eat. :fc:

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »
Generally you need to be a bigger farm to make something off it.  I know feed is dear but there is cheaper feed around just have to look for it....... and buy in bulk rather than in bag..... that is also a rather costly way to buy feed.  buy in 56 ton lots makes it a cheaper commodity all round.  buy your minerals in in tonnage and mix your own feed. Not practical for you small people.....and besides you are right rare breeds are dying out and it is a pity, as the basis of breeding started with these guys in the first place. Most white pigs on the commercial line were crosses that eventually were  registered as true breeds in their own right....... but may be rare breeds till have potential to breed a new breed....there is still work to be done for breeding. I am sure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS