Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig sleeping outside  (Read 5265 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Pig sleeping outside
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:33:29 am »
Good morning.
I have 3 kunekunes who sleep in a solway pig arc. Lots of people assured me it was big enough when i was buying it, even though it does seem a tight squeeze. And generally they've been fine.
But the last couple of mornings I've looked out at 6am to find one of my pigs sleeping outdoors next to the pig arc.
It's still cold at nights and I'm a bit worried.
Do they do this sometimes?
Is the arc too small? And if so how can we modify the one we have?
I don't think he's been kicked out as they all get along together.
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Joanne xxxxx

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Pig sleeping outside
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:54:48 am »
One of our sows slept outside for a week or so after being put back with the others after weaning. I wouldn' t worry too much at this time of year pigs are a lot tougher than a lot of people seem to think.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 08:31:02 am »
Pru the GOS sow has slept outside for the last two nights. This is in preference to kipping in the ark with Patrick the boar who moved in a couple of days ago. :innocent:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:00:57 am »
I have 4 kune kune sows, and from this time of year onwards, so long as its dry weather, they sleep outside.  If they were cold, they would go back indoors.  I would not worry.

rudolph76

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 11:18:47 am »
We have 2 pietrains who go to bed about 8pm but in the night they quite often come out of their ark and sleep under some trees in their paddock, I sometimes leave at 5am to go to work and always look in on them. When the weather is wet  :raining:  (usual for us as we live on the Welsh border) or cold they sleep inside. Wouldn't worry too much if they still look healthy and happy

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:05:23 pm »
Just one outside, and always the same one? How old are they?
Like the others have said, I wouldn't be too worried, what size is your ark?
Pigs are crepuscular, that is most active at dawn and dusk, so it could well be that it is not sleeping outside all night.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:51 pm »
Thank you for your replies.
My pig who sleeps outdoors is 2. The two inside ( one is his brother) are 2 and 18 months. They get along fine. Can't remember the arc size, 5 x 4 maybe? It's a kunekune arc and solway said it was big enough for the 3 of them.
I'll keep an eye on him. If he sleeps out in the rain then I'll worry.
I wonder if I should build another little shelter for him? As an option?
My other concern was that we'd have to buy another arc ( very expensive) or somehow try to build an extension on this one.......
Thanks
Joanne xxxx
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:00:06 pm by JMB »

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 03:21:40 pm »
If you built another ark, I can guarantee he would go in with the others .....  I have two kune kune arks and they sleep in pairs, so use both.  One of the girls is enormous, but I would say there is still room for 3 even with her large frame plonked down ;D

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:14:30 am »
Thankfully Pru slept in the the ark with Patrick last night. I worry about that pig you know. :farmer:

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 05:18:14 pm »
do you have access to pine pallets, tie wire, wooden or steel pickets, and corrugate or flat tin...... make a rectangle out of these.....you will need 6 of them and a roof and you have a cheaply built hut.  that is warm in winter and cool in summer. and very dry and cozy. Just as straw and I reckon you will be in with them  once it is organized

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:09:27 pm »
The good news is that all pigs are now back in together. It just took a downpour....
Love the idea of the shelter though, we have loads of pallets lying about. Brilliant idea
Thanks
J xxxxx

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:15:19 pm »
Oh I do wish it would rain at our place!    Our sow Rosie is still stubbornly living outside and refusing to take her new family indoors, but amazingly all the piglets, now 4 days old, seem to be getting through the cold nights OK, and in the last 24 hours have learned how to burrow under the straw which I hope is helping to keep them warm.   Such a pity the gorgeous warm creep area just inches away is going to waste.

Just as worrying is the day long sunshine on their delicate skin which is turning their white saddles bright pink - every morning while mum is having her breakfast I have been spraying them with Factor 50.   Rare indeed that I long for rain, even more rare that for once there isn't any, but I think that is the only thing that will eventually drive them back into the ark - fingers crossed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS