Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: courgettes  (Read 4508 times)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
courgettes
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:56:41 am »
Hi I have just started growing courgettes and all is well, other than they are mad courgettes.  I'm a bit OCD and like my veg to grow in straight lines and be very organised (been known to pull anything up that disobeys!) Please tell me I have some rogue courgettes - they are going mad! The leaves are the size of rhubab leaves and they have taken over half a plot.  I did something I don't do and transplanted half to another plot to thin them out - they didn't like it but they have taken.  Please tell me, is this normal, do I have to tie them up, do I remove any leaves to let the sun get to the flowers and finally, have I done it all wrong ??? :o

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: courgettes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:45:53 am »
Sounds like you've got it right. Mine grow to a diameter of about 6 foot,leaves like rhubarb and about 30 courgettes per plant. I only cut the lower leaves off that are touching the ground,they seem to harbour white/carrot flies and rot quite quickly.
 When you get sick of courgettes you could harvest the flowers,dip in tempura batter and deep fry for a few minutes or I think there's something in the recipe section called Courgetti Spaghetti!!! ......Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:55:51 pm »
You are so lucky, I'm all jealous now, Lizmar! Mine have been miserable from the word go this year, leaves no bigger than a hand, don't know what's so different from previous years when they thrived. If you have too many, you can always make a sweet pickle and use courgettes instead of cucumbers, it's lovely! :&>

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:41:42 pm »
We are right in the middle of courgette glut!! ;D
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:18:55 pm »
Ours is just starting. We might try courgette and brie soup this year. It was a staple user of courgettes maybe three seasons ago but we well sickened ourselves and only now feel brave enough to make it again.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:21:58 pm »
Eagledance, are you ever coming North (fife) and we could swap some of your courgettes for some other produce, lol? I so miss them and do resent having to buy them at this time of the year! :&>

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:42:38 am »
Where are you (PM me?) and i could be arranged (as am a teechur on an extraordinarlity long holiday! LOL!)
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »
We are about to be inundated with courgettes and if anyone else is, they might like this book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Will-All-Those-Courgettes/dp/0952488159/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248703815&sr=8-1&tag=theaccidsma00-21
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:00:24 am by Dan »

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 10:35:04 pm »
mine are still miserable! I used to have a great crop all the last years but this year :'(..small leaves and no fruit. My Hokaido pumpkin is coming on well, though, first fruit showing  :) :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:25:41 am »
We have been eating ours now for a couple of weeks.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS