Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Current affairs board  (Read 13019 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Current affairs board
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:08:38 am »
We created a new board yesterday for the discussion of current affairs and politics. Unfortunately events kind of overtook it, and I didn't have the opportunity to announce it properly.

It has been created on a trial basis to provide a place for discussions that we feel should not be part of the general coffee lounge - we appreciate that this is primarily a smallholding forum, but that some members enjoy discussing current affairs.

For those who would prefer not to see threads and posts in the board please use the ignore boards option:

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=ignoreboards

Any feedback welcome, thanks.

Dan
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:36:58 am by Dan »

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Current affairs board
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:17:49 am »
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe the more heated political discussions can all be kept together rather than getting mixed up with smallholding topics! :innocent:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:42 am »
I suspect it may become a kamikaze board.....people with strong views rarely want to listen to other people with strong views...I predict a few members will post on this board and get blown away..then disapear. :innocent:

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:51:48 am »
I agree with Sandy. Not content that I expect to see on this forum.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:02:53 pm »
Current affairs etc. is not really what I come on this forum for, BUT I think that having a seperate board for it is a good idea. Those people who do have an interest can keep it contained to the one board and people (like me) who dont can just not read that board.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:05:35 pm »
I like the idea, hopefully members with the 'stronger views' will voice their opinions there and let the rest of us get on with life (and the PLEASURE of each others balanced, like-minded company) :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:22:26 pm »
And as as Dan has said on numerous occasions anyone can ignore a board!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:35:08 pm »
This is a trial of the current affairs board. If it degenerates into personal abuse we'll pull it and ban discussion of politics and current affairs.

This is a smallholding forum, but we appreciate that a lot of members spend a lot of time here and enjoy discussing things other than smallholding - we'll accommodate and support those discussions where we can but not at the expense of the site's core purpose - helping each other and sharing knowledge about smallholding.

We also have the option of making any board 'opt-in' rather than opt-out - should we make the current affairs board opt-in only?

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »
Personally - I would rather have to opt out of a board than opt in. I would rather see how they board goes before deciding something like ignoring it completely. Plus, the way I see it, although current affairs isnt my thing for the most part, I'd still like to browse the topics to see if there are any which may interest me.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:08:17 pm »
Personally - I would rather have to opt out of a board than opt in. I would rather see how they board goes before deciding something like ignoring it completely. Plus, the way I see it, although current affairs isnt my thing for the most part, I'd still like to browse the topics to see if there are any which may interest me.
I agree

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 01:10:51 pm »
me too
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 01:17:26 am »
You don't even need an opt out .
If your getting uncomfortable with subject and hot under the collar etc just don't bother visiting that part of the site .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 07:30:11 am »
You don't even need an opt out .
If your getting uncomfortable with subject and hot under the collar etc just don't bother visiting that part of the site .

That's not how a lot of members use the forums. The 'Unread posts' and 'Unread topics' pages are the most popular on the site, and include all of the threads from all of the boards unless you've opted out.

So an opt-out feature is most definitely needed.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 07:44:20 am »
Y'know what I'd love, Dan?  An 'unfollow thread' option.  Then I could 'opt out' of individual threads and not have them cluttering up my Unread and Recent screens.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:17 am »
If it could be done an unfollow thread would suit me too.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS