Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sudden blight  (Read 4983 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
sudden blight
« on: July 03, 2009, 07:06:41 pm »
2 days ago I picked off the first of what I thought possibly blighted leaves on my potatoes. After the hot spell it's gone much worse and I probably just dig the whole lot up tomorrow, what do you all think? I must say that it affected none of my containers (yet) but a plot which is a bit further from the main garden. The soil has a lot of clay and was probably drier that elsewhere. :&>

rustyme

Re: sudden blight
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 07:31:53 pm »
you may be able to just cut all of the foliage off (carefully) and burn it , and hope and pray it hasn't gone down into the soil ....last year I did that and left the spuds in till I wanted them ...I lost about one in  fifty maybe, I didn't want to risk storing possible blighted spuds  ...it is always a matter of suck it and see really  .. good luck though ....

cheers

Russ

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 10:03:53 pm »
this humidity and temp has me worried, my spuds are looking grand, hope they don't succumb!!!

daviddb

• Joined Feb 2009
  • pyrenees orietales
    • flickr pictures
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:44:37 pm »
I'll not be worried about sudden blight this year despite the very wet spring and hot humid thundery summer as the darstard wild pig have barged through the electric fence and had the lot : at least they turned their noses up at the beetroot and thought the parsnips not ready!

Now where's me gun?

regards as always

David

(thundery and hot in the Pyrenees)

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 11:00:45 pm »
Blight watch map/site from the Potato Council..

http://www.blightwatch.co.uk/content/bw-Home.asp

I have to say my spuds are looking grand at the moment too, but will keep a close eye on them

Wellieboots

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:08:40 pm »
I pulled up my Anya's the other day as I was paranoid that the brown blotches were blight (that no-one answered my question to either I migh add!) to find that I had 36lbs of the beauties! From a 2kg bag costing £6.95 from the Organic catalogue that is a result in my book. Sainsburys are selling them at £1.99 per kilo ;D ;D ;D

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 07:18:59 pm »
Just spent the afternoon chopping the tops off all my earlies which are blighted. Will dig them all the next good dry day we get. Strangely the maincrop (right next to the earlies) are showing no sign as yet. I think I will have to nip of to the garden centre for some bordeux mixture just to be safe.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:36:29 pm »
topping the affected parts of the earlies for about 10 days seems to have done the job. I've harvested about a pound from 2 plants and all were fine, (lovely potato salad,lol). My friend in the next village has lost about a third of hers to blight, she said.
The maincrop don't seem to be affected here either, but most of mine are in containers, the earlies I had planted in clay rich soil to break it up and as it is quite far from the house may forgot to water them most times, don't know if that makes a difference. :&>

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 10:17:15 pm »
Just spent the afternoon chopping the tops off all my earlies which are blighted. Will dig them all the next good dry day we get. Strangely the maincrop (right next to the earlies) are showing no sign as yet. I think I will have to nip of to the garden centre for some bordeux mixture just to be safe.

Maincrop now showing blight and need to tops off.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 11:05:47 pm »
Mine still seems to be only in one half of a plot. I planted different varieties of earlies there , but unfortunately have no record what is where as I was given them...Maincrop still is ok, but I had a warning from Blightwatch for our postcode. :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS