Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rare breed sheep  (Read 2775 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
rare breed sheep
« on: April 08, 2013, 10:21:10 pm »
Hello all I'm thinking of keeping some rare breed sheep.I  would buy them in in June and run them on four acers they would be used as lawn mowers but I would also like a good carcass come Oct Nov time.
What breeds would u Recommend pros cons and how much should I expect to pay in the Sussex area?
Thanks very much

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Re: rare breed sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:15:18 am »
It all depends on how rare you want to go!  The Rare Breeds Survival Trust (RBST.org.uk) has a list of breeds on their watch list.  I imagine the cons with rarer breeds is that they are harder to get hold of, consequently more costly to buy and you may have to think outside the box (or country) when it comes to finding new bloodlines.

We breed Ryelands; they are no longer on the watch list as there are more than 3,000 breeding females, but they still aren't as common as they could be. 

With regards to carcass and weight, I can't really vouch for any rare breeds as I don't have much experience, someone on here will, though!

RBST Watch List: https://www.rbst.org.uk/watchlist.pdf
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:03:48 pm by Dan »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:10:32 pm »
How about your local breed, the Southdown?  Excellent carcase and probably the sweetest lamb you can eat.  March born lambs will usually be ready for slaughter by late Summer or Autumn, with no additional feed.  If you're not breeding, just taking to slaughter weight, buying lambs will allow a breeder to keep going and give a market for lambs not quite up to breeding quality.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 07:58:13 pm »
I would also suggest Southdowns, easy to keep and docile, but can be prone to fly strike because they are so very woolly! Kents are local to you (and me) and a nice breed to keep, but im trying Wiltshire horns at the mo, and they seem good.

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »
We have hebrideans and one Shetland, which are lovely. But they are smaller, which are easier to handle ( you still need to shear and vaccinate lawn mowers) but lambs can take 16 months to reach slaughter weight so depends what age you buy them at.
It might be worth remembering that many of us start with lawn mowers and then get the bug and start breeding, so it may be worth thinking of a breed that would suit you if you want to have lambs in the future.
J xxxxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS