Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed?  (Read 7028 times)

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Which breed?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 11:13:54 pm »
Lol! Never thought of it as a colour prejudice, but I suppose it is. But, in my defence, take a look at some, everyone who has seen ours have fallen in love....

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 08:41:45 am »
We've tried Berkshire  Saddlebacks GOS Tamworth  and a couple of crosses ;D
All different    we still believe the Berkshire to be the best tasting pork  and really characterful little pigs   I loved them   but always had an eye on why we had them so not to get too attached :eyelashes:
We're currently trying British Lop   and they really are proving to be adorable playful really friendly lively little piggies     long loins good looking hams....... :sunshine:
I'd like to try OSB at some point and we've just happened across a breeder not too far away   so maybe next time.........if we don't like the lops tooo much :-[

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 07:07:08 am »
You've all been ever so helpful. Thanks so much. I'll be back  ;D

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 02:07:48 pm »
Personally I would look at what is available near-by then choose from those. Then check which is your local abattoir and if there are any (pig) breeds they don't take.
That should give you a nice wee list of tasty porkers to ponder  :yum:
Rgds
Sskye.
Rgds
Sskye

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:19 am »
Agree with Karen about the boars.  Also we reared Tamworths and they had a large layer of fat, excessive I would say - we controlled their diet and they had fab veggie seconds from a wholesaler - we took advice to kill at 7 months but they were still fatty - other near neighbour I know did the same and exactly the same result.  I'd try OSB's but you should consider the boar thing - you have to get really p*%$ off with them before you feel ok about the killing bit and it's easier to do that with the boys (sorry lads).
I'm not surprised your Tamworths were fatty at 7 months. Mine normally go at 5 months for pork - at the latest, 6 months. For bacon, 8 - 9 months. They start laying down fat more quickly after 4 months, so you need to watch your feeding.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 09:54:22 pm »
Sorry to digress from the original topic  :innocent:

Liz, what carcass weights do you get at 5 months from your Tammies ? I'm just being nosey  ;) ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 09:56:58 pm »
Oh we had GOS, Middle white x GOS, Lops, Saddlebacks, and now have our third (I think) set of OSB's - mainly because they are near and the breeder breeds really good pigs...

RE the pork -we have not found it tastes all that different. We had the odd one that had tougher chops, and we think that was more due to stress at slaughter time than feeding/breed/etc.

I would go for a breeder near you, and start with whatever they breed (traditional breed of course, but crosses are just as good fo pork as pure bred ones). Also you don't need registered pigs, indeed we always ask for the ones that don't quite make the breed standard - again no point of you thinking of breeding from them (or less likely).

I also think boys are better to start off with, by the time they get to 20odd weeks of age nearly 100kgs of pork trying to knock you over ... you will get fed up with them, and then they taste even better...

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:08 pm »
HH - normally between 60 and 65kg.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 10:35:32 pm »
Berkshires.   Quiet, placid easy to do, great taste  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 08:51:13 am »
I'd also suggest checking what breeds you can source locally, especially if these will be your first pigs, having someone local & knowledgeable you can call on for advise will be helpful. Also check with slaughter house re coloured pigs & maximum weight as many limit this.

I've had British Lops for the last 3 years & can highly recommend them. They don't tend to run to fat, unlike many traditional & rare breeds. They are white. Great characters. Taste amazing. Good starter pig.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:54:55 am by Nickie »

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11:10 pm »
I'm getting quite keen on idea of Berkshires. Will see who's got what aroundabout as suggested. Thanks for slaughterhouse advice.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 09:31:13 pm »
Gloucestershire Old Spot

What are the breed advantages?
    Docile – making it a suitable choice for first time pig keepers.
    Hardy – the breed is kept in many parts of the UK where extremes of temperatures and weather patterns are experienced.
    Good dams – the GOS is a milky breed and a good dam. In many cases, sows will continue breeding at a greater age than many other breeds and hybrids.
    Quality Pork & Bacon – there is a huge demand for the high quality meat produced by GOS pigs.
    They make an ideal crossing breed. Put to a white breed, the offspring will be white with the advantage of hybrid vigour.

Finally you are 6 miles away from two Pedigree GOS Breeders ~ one at Spanby and one might just be me  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS