Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed?  (Read 7029 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Which breed?
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:21:05 pm »
Would like to take on two lady piggies to rear for slaughter. We don't want to breed. A loaded question but which breed do people suggest for lean tasty meat (obviously influenced somewhat by feeding regime)? We're unlikely to have time for curing re a baconer so would be pork for home/friends use only with potential for fabulous crackling!. First timers with pigs so something manageable and not too 'characterful' to either grow to love too much or be a right pain in the bum. Have previously considered Berkshires and Oxford Sandy & Black so if anyone has these your input would be particularly appreciated. We want them to have a happy and healthy, albeit short life so advice on meds/vaccs, accomodation and acreage required for two would also be great.
Ta muchly x

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
Re: Which breed?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:32:59 pm »
hi there no expert on this but everyone i seem to speak to rates tamwoths as  one of the best pigs for pork

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
Definitely no expert here but I did have 2 OSB weaners last year. They went off at 27 weeks although were not as big as they should have been. Perhaps that was due to the lousy summer but I don't know enough to be able to tell. They were fairly easy to keep and the pork is lovely.
Next week I am due to pick up 2 GOS weaners. Just thought I would have a change and see what difference a change in breed makes.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 01:02:33 pm »
I have kept both Saddlebacks and OSB's and they were both fantastic couldn't really choose between them, both made good pork and also bacon.
Anne

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:21:42 pm »
Thanks so far. Keep that info coming  :)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »
GOS and LB's for me but one thing worth considering before choosing your breed, is to be aware that some slaughter houses don't like doing coloured pigs and  that there even  are some that wont do them at all.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 05:19:44 pm »
Have kept many sorts (and eaten) over the years. 

Favourites for me are Middlewhite or Welsh x Middlewhite for tender tasty pork, next Berkshire as very nice pork and really interesting to keep plus no sunburn probs if the weather ever changes back.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 06:18:20 pm »
Berkshire is regarded as the best pork pig. They have good characters and easy to handle.

Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 06:46:32 pm »
Most often folk start with lop eared breeds like OSB, GOS, Large Black etc - British Lops would also be a good 'starter' pig, but a lot of folk find it's a choice dictated by what they can source locally.

Leaness (or lack of  ;)) is down to feeding - weigh out the amount of feed, then find a container to hold that amount - this helps loads  :thumbsup: Also, have a good feel of them regularly, if you can't feel the ribs they are too fat and you can cut back on the quantity slightly - it's impossible to tell by eye, got to get hands on with them.

For space - a minimum of 20m x 20m should be plenty for 2 weaners to pork weight, but the more space they have the more they'll move around and the leaner they'll be - so if you have more space, give them it  ;)

The only other thing I would say is, I'd be tempted to start with a couple of castrated boars rather than gilts. The reason being when the time comes you have to send them off, you can't talk yourself into keeping them for breeding - obviously everyone's different, but if you think there's a chance you're going to get attached to them and find it hard sending them off for pork it's worth considering.
HTH
Karen

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 08:40:15 pm »
Agree with Karen about boars so you don't get attached but castrated is unnessasary. I never understand people saying lop ears are better if you spend time in building a relationship with the pigs they will do what you want regardless of their ears.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:45:00 pm »
Has to be Middle Whites, for both taste and ease of looking after. Crackling was suuuuuuuper!

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:01 pm »
Definitely no expert, but we wanted paddock clearing and didn't fancy having to suncream their ears! We went with Liz's advice to get a pig that gives you the tingle factor! Bear in mind something has to get you out in the rain to feed and check up on them, so if you like them, it makes it easy! Personally, I don't like pink pigs, but Tamworths, with their brown eyes and ginger hair, are fab! I am also a pork convert, having not eaten pork since I was a child!
Lix also advised us to get boars, they don't need to be castrated cos you won't be keeping them long enough for them to become hormonal, and it means you can do the deed, knowing there's no alternative. Also, have to admit that I haven't tried any other, so I would want to know what people's favourite is from what they've tried!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 09:03:02 pm »
Agree with Karen about the boars.  Also we reared Tamworths and they had a large layer of fat, excessive I would say - we controlled their diet and they had fab veggie seconds from a wholesaler - we took advice to kill at 7 months but they were still fatty - other near neighbour I know did the same and exactly the same result.  I'd try OSB's but you should consider the boar thing - you have to get really p*%$ off with them before you feel ok about the killing bit and it's easier to do that with the boys (sorry lads).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »
The only way to stop traditional breed pigs getting too fat is not to feed them too much. Treat em mean, keep em lean!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 10:52:21 pm »
Will talk with OH about getting boars instead. Guess we just thought sows would be easier handling same as ewes as opposed to rams. We do have a strong tendency to get attached though so maybe a forced hand would be a better thing. I believe there are Berkshires fairly locally so sounds like a possible breed pending slaughterhouse regs. I think a nearish one has slaughtered a neighbours former Berkshires but will check. Had no idea there was such colour prejudice over piggies! How bizzare  ::)
Confession - we have eight rams at the moment...............How soft are we?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS