Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb who rejected the ewe?  (Read 9345 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lamb who rejected the ewe?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 05:12:52 pm »
Your adorable lamb looks almost exactly like a Charollais x Shetland ewe lamb born here this morning!   :love: :sheep:  Am I close? :eyelashes:

I have never known how to pronounce Zwartbles either, so asked the chap on the Zwartbles Soc stand at Scot Sheep (I think it was Scot Sheep where I asked, anyway.)   He said, "As it looks - pronounce every letter - z -war - t - bls".  I find the 't' before the 'b(u)ls' hard to do, so call them Zwar-bulls, knowing it's wrong but hoping it's close enough.  I may decide to switch to Zvahrt - bless, thanks to you guys I could actually sound educated if people question it  ;) :D

BH has always struggled with it, too - of all his efforts, my favourite was 'Zimbabwes'.   :D 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 05:16:18 pm »
Lovely pics!   :love:

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 02:21:32 pm »
I asked my Dutch friend how to pronounce the name, before we bought our Zwartbles. She told me it was zvart-bless - zwart is Dutch for black and bles is Dutch for blaze (one of the defining breed characteristics is the white facial 'blaze'). Whenever I pronounce it to other sheepy people though, they never know what I'm talking about!  :roflanim:

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 02:32:31 pm »
Sallyinorth you are exactly right :)

Mum is a grey katmoget shetland, dad is Charolais :)

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 03:04:38 pm »
Pronunciation - yes agree with fleecewife and smee but as others have said most say swarbles to rhyme with baubles and don't recognise the dutch pronunciation. Presumably small due to placental insufficiency but like a prem/small human will catch up - I would have thought it would feed when hungry enough but has become over-familiar with the bottle-teat

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:08 pm »
Yes I think thats the case unfortunately, spent her first night out last night and seemed fine. offering her a bottle every  so often and waiting until I can catch her in the act of feeding, (if she actually is!)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 06:16:02 pm »
I have the opposite "policy" which is that a lamb is feeding unless proven otherwise (hollow belly, plaintive non-stop bleating etc).

If they are mostly quiet and getting on with things (i.e. playing who can jump the highest from a standing start with their litter-mates) and generally scadding about then they are likely to be feeding.  :excited: :excited: :eyelashes:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS