Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead lamb- ewe aftercare?  (Read 2672 times)

lou995

• Joined Feb 2013
  • leics
Dead lamb- ewe aftercare?
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:12:54 am »
Unfortunatly had a lamb born dead tonight. No fostering options, whats the protocol for looking after the ewe now? Will she need any medication to dry her off? Doesn't appear to have a lot of milk on her anyway.
Left her with lamb for now and will take away come daylight, how long before she settles without lamb?
How do other smallholders dispose of deadstock? Hunt? Fallenstock? other?

thanks

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
Re: Dead lamb- ewe aftercare?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:26:38 pm »
Whilst your not allowed to do it - Im sure many people would bury a small lamb.
Sheep

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:04:07 pm »
Sorry to hear about your lsmb. One of our ewes lost a lamb and they go round bleating and looking for it for a few days. It's upsetting but they do get over it.
The milk dried up on its own and she was fine without any intervention.
There will be other information in the forum on this somewhere if you search.
As for disposal, it's meant to go via the usual route ( knackery) but some farmers do bury the odd one.
Good luck xxcccccc

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:33:48 pm »
Lou, after a prolapse our vet had to assist with the lambing and she pulled the lamb out dead. The ewe was put back in the trailer and the vet slung the lamb and afterbirth in with her. This surprised me (I am a complete novice) as I thought the vet would dispose of it.
Anyway, perhaps being with the dead lamb in the trailer helped because she didn't seem to miss it afterwards.
She was put in a field with another ewe that didn't go to the ram and seems to be ok. I continued to give her some hard feed, although just half rations (perhaps this was me being soft) as I didn't want to cut it out too drastically, and gradually wound it down. Please bear in mind that all of this is a first for me so may not be the correct course of action.
OH disposed of the body and afterbirth on a fire in the field.
Actually it was the only time that day that I laughed.  The fire cause so much white smoke I thought OH was announcing the new pope.  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 05:44:48 pm »
I'd consider giving the ewe antibiotic and drying her off quickly - good straw and only a little water for 24 hours.  Part of the reason she'll be bleating for her lamb is that her udder is full and uncomfortable. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS