Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to give lambs?  (Read 3487 times)

weewooliewifie

• Joined Apr 2013
What to give lambs?
« on: April 06, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »
My ewes are due to start popping out lambs any day (hopefully!), I was planning on giving all lambs a dose of Orajet and wondered if I would need to be giving them a dose of Multi Vit too?

What do you give your newborn lambs?  If anything?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What to give lambs?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 03:27:43 pm »
Mine lamb outdoors so I don't give them anything.   I do take great care when applying 10% iodine to the navels as soon as they are born, and repeat it 4 hours after birth.

Those who lamb indoors will do it differently.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

weewooliewifie

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:02:22 pm »
Thank you for replying, Fleecewife.

I've got my iodine ready and waiting!  I'm lambing indoors, but hope to get them back out to grass asap.  We've been very lucky with the weather.  No snow, just very cold and dry.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:48:45 pm »
We just dip the navals and then give all ours a squirt of veleron.

weewooliewifie

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 07:06:40 pm »
Thanks for that, moony.

It's just been a while since I lambed, I want to get it all right - impossible, I know!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 07:26:32 pm »
I give all mine 2 pumps of col-late lamb kick start when they are born and spray their navels with umbilical spray.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 07:34:01 pm »
Everything has its bellybutton sprayed with bactokill. Otherwise they only get stuff if they need it. We do give triplet lambs Thermovite, and also give it to anything that is challenged in any way ie, if it is particularly small, weak etc.

No point giving them stuff unless they need it, or unless you have a particular problem in your flock that you know you need to deal with.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

weewooliewifie

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »
Thank you for all your replies.

I guess I am in danger of taking a belt and braces attitude!  We've only had these ewes for a couple of months, so I've no idea of their history or any issues that they may have at lambing time.

Thanks again, I'm so glad I stumbled upon this forum.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »
If the lambs are born fit and healthy, why would you dose? Just a spray of septiclense on the umbilical  ???

weewooliewifie

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 07:46:13 pm »
thenovice, when I used to work on sheep farms, it was the norm to dose all newborn lambs with Orajet.  But I guess when you are dealing with large numbers of lambs in a shed, the chances of watery mouth increase greatly.

I'm just trying to get used to dealing with a smaller number of ewes and trying a less intensive method of sheparding.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:07:16 pm »
We dose with Veleron as we had a problem with watery mouth 4 or so years ago. For roughly 6p per lamb its simply far more cost effective to dose them as prevention. Its much less labour intensive and more effective than trying to treat. Sees the lambs through the difficult first couple of days when difficulties don't always show themselves until its a problem. Last year we lost 3 lambs out of 150 that came from ewes we lambed and 2 of them were due to a playful stallion so its definitely working for us.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:12:06 pm by moony »

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 08:26:39 pm »
It has to be worth trying to dose less, or only when its needed. That way it promotes good strong stock

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS