Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Guernsey Goats  (Read 12478 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Golden Guernsey Goats
« on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:23 am »
This morning I am heading down to Cumbria to collect my GGG's. I was only after 1 but have been persuaded (as though that was difficult) to take a kid and it's mother. I am looking forward to this new experience and hoping that both settle in with the others very quickly.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Golden Guernsey Goats
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:09:55 am »
Golden guernseys are lovely! I have a billy and he's so placid.

Have a lovely trip!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 07:14:50 am »
Thanks. Rosie, my 12 year old is a GG cross and she is just adoreable. I am hoping that there isn't any fighting with an over protective mum being introduced to strangers.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:02:11 pm »
Introducing Lottie and Lulu...

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »
They are gorgeous  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 05:37:40 pm »
Very nice........

I have a Lottie dog and a Lulu sheep!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:44:00 pm »
The Pygmy's have been out of their paddock all day enjoying the freedom with Rosie, Toggi, Freddy and Gizmo. So, when we got back here with Lottie and Luly we thought it better to put them in the smaller paddock to settle in. They were fine in here with the rabbit and chooks. When eventually we let the Pygmy's back in all was well and after the introductions thay all settled into their own thing.

I thought it safer to put mum and her baby in a seperate shed, this way she will get peace to feed and settle in. Lottie looks very tired, if that makes sense, after her stressful day and long joureny. Already I have had both them eating from my hand which I am pleased about.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:59:17 pm »
Aww fabulous James! Glad you managed to get some- was that from Ann in Dumfries? They both look like nice goats- you could show them!

Remeber its been very hot today, and mum is likely to be feeling the effects of that as well as the stress of travelling, new home etc. Keep a close eye on her- if she is milking heavily her calcium levels could be low as well.

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 08:35:48 am »
Hi Beth, they were from Anne and Alan Dickinson. Both have had a good night and mum seems much more relaxed today. They are eating well and enjoying meeting all the others. Good luck at your show.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 05:50:46 pm »
What a smashing pair of goats they are.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 12:34:59 pm »
They really have settled in well and I am amazed at  how quickly Lottie has become tame. She is still a bit nervous but mostly walks up to us for cuddles and loves being brushed - as do most of the goats actually. Lulu, the baby is still more nervous but not as much as she was. They are  beautiful and I look forward to the time when both them are tame and friendly.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 01:45:44 pm »
James,

Did you have any bother with the blue tongue restrictions in place ? We'd love to get some over to Northern Ireland if and when blue tongue dies out.

Cheers

Gavin

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 02:06:24 pm »
Gavin - Bluetongue was never mentioned to be honest. Sorry I can't help you any more, we did have the movement papers.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:15 pm »
There wouldn't be any problem with Blue Tongue restrictions. The Golden Guernseys came from Dumfries, and all of Scotland is deemed as the same Blue Tongue area. Vaccinating for Blue Tongue is not complusary for goats anyway (due to the fact that the vaccine hasn't been tested on goats). It might be an idea to check with Anne and see if she has vaccinated James- although you may not have vaccinated yours either!

The whole stop on exporting to Ireland is very annoying though- I have an adult Anglo Nubian male who a friend in Southern Ireland has first refusal on. But as it stands he would have no way of getting him!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:55:18 am »
Now that the girls have been here a week and are trusting me a bit more I lifted Lotties leg today to check her feet and I am disappointed that the breeder would not have clipped them before collection. To be honest her feet are a damned mess and this hasn't just happened in the last week so my job today is to get her feet sorted out. Lulu, the baby is now starting to loose her fear of us now too and gradually getting just that wee bit closer to us. Before if we touched her while she had her head in a bucket eating she would run off, then she stopped running and would just freeze and stop eating. Now she just cintinues eating and ignores the fact we are touching her and so therefore we are very close to her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS