Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I'm soooo excited...  (Read 11832 times)

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: I'm soooo excited...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 03:40:44 pm »
Glad eveyone else is excited too.  A load of my stuff does seem very late but as long as it happens.  Aubergines and peppers are only just flowering but got tomatoes getting bigger all over the place, had loads of broad beans and a few mange tout.  We had such a good strawberry crop, gonna pot on all the runners and have a huge bed next year. Had the first courgette.  Mike's been eatin lettuce as much as poss but can't keep up.  It's just like santa visiting every day!

I thought we would do more this year but after a sort of trial last year this is our first proper year and I don't think we have done too bad considering how long hours we work.

Long may the harvesting continue!!!  :farmer:

Has anyone grown sweet potatoes? Considering this next year but don't know much about it.

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 04:31:34 pm »
I have .............................. 1 courgette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
Well its a start ???

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 09:08:31 pm »
my dilema is... do i buy some tomatos tomorrow when shopping, or do I not get any  in the hope that my toms will ripen up soon? i'll definately have to get cucumbers as mine wont be ready for a while..... oh what joy ..decisions, decisions.

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »

Just buy a couple of toms - I was really annoyed when oh went shopping (a rare occurrence indeed) and bought lettuce and cucumbers when I was eagerly waiting to pick my own - I then had to wait to use up what had been bought otherwise it would have gone to waste and I hate throwing food! I'm going to turn green from eating salad soon!!

This year is our first growing year and we started a bit late but have now had runner beans, cucumber, potatoes, lettuce, radishes and carrots. Am very excited as I have a tennis ball sized melon growing as well as other stuff which isn't quite as exciting! No flowers on broccoli or cauli yet which is a bit disappointing as they are the only veg I actually like.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 04:09:18 pm »
I have .............................. 1 courgette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
Well its a start ???

LOL!  You have one more than me!  :-[

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 05:03:17 pm »
hiya all just 'picked' two big cabbages as they are the smallest in the bed and i think the other need the space, Double washed, blanched , and put in a bag for the freezer now (I think they might have been the cabbage from the 1st show that CSSA :)

Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 05:12:54 pm »
I'm going for winning the 'smallest cabbage' class lol
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 05:44:15 pm »
lol i have no idea why mine went mad, I had a bad start as a lot got really sunburnt so got some more and put them in the same place, now they are fighting for positions lol.

I may need to transplant them in to a different area

Linz

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 10:07:55 pm »
I think I would have won the smallest cauli competition  :D
lots of rocket,  "weeded" about a quarter of one bed, which will make 5 jars of pesto!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 11:31:48 pm »
I have a pepper plant in the conservatory with eensy weensy teeny peppers on it - can you get mini peppers?  They are different colours too - one red, one almost black, one yellow and a green - all on the same plant.  Any thoughts on this folks?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

aparker155

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 09:30:03 am »
I have a pepper plant in the conservatory with eensy weensy teeny peppers on it - can you get mini peppers?  They are different colours too - one red, one almost black, one yellow and a green - all on the same plant.  Any thoughts on this folks?

Are they sweet peppers or chilies? I had some chilies once (rainbow chilies) which were only small (maybe about 15-20mm long) and were all different colours on one plant as you've described. They were nice chilies - not too hot!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 01:12:21 pm »
Ah, that's maybe what they are!  I got the plant from my friend next door along with another one and she said one was a pepper and the other a chilli!  Had forgotten that might try tasting them soon.

BlackRocks

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Wokingham, Near Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 07:58:12 pm »
I'm so excited too. This year I have gone from dabbling in a bit of veg in previous years to taking it a bit more serious in a need to save some money. We have enjoyed a variety of salad vegetables and carrots, runner beans etc to date but usually only one item  per day (still not to be sniffed at I know). But today, I'm sooo happy, we had a nice bit of beef (sorry to any veggies out there) with Carrots, runner beans and Potatoes all out of the garden. Oh and they taste so fabulous compared to supermarket ones. Yum!! :yum: I felt a real sense of achievement as I carried my bucket of veg up the the house today!!!

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 10:50:15 am »
Well I know a couple of weeks ago i said I had one courgette - I had my eyes closed or some affliction!!! I have millions, well counted 28 last night - hence the begging for recipes.  Didn't think what I would do with them if they actually grew :dunce: They aren't the best veg to grow in abundance if you can't freeze them! Never mind, we are eating them everyday - fried, baked, boiled - haven't tried mashed ;D
Do you think if I say the same about the peas (not even a flower yet) I might get a surprise and find loads next week?

rustyme

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 12:56:40 pm »
if you have the right sort of courgette , you could grow some on to marrows....ie really big courgettes. Some types have been created to produce courgettes , but some are really just cut as baby marrows . If you grow them on to be marrows they store in a shed for ages , through most of the winter. They are really lovely cooked as stuffed marrow . I use mince , but you could use whatever you want . Plenty of salt and pepper and they are to die for .....You can also serve it diced with a roast if you like . I know as  a kid I grew loads ,  stored them in the garden shed and we had them right through the winter , 2 or 3 a week . Good for a family of 9.

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS