Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scabby mouth??  (Read 4329 times)

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
Scabby mouth??
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:11:37 pm »
Hello does anyone have any experience with this as talking to the vet it appears one of our youngsters from last year has this!
He has scabs around his mouth and eyes but is happy and eating the vet said unless it causes him any problems to let it run its course but to expect also the others in the flock to most likely also have it unless they have had it before.
Any ideas how he may have come to have this as we dont show and havent had any new goats join us?
Never a dull moment with all these animals.........

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Scabby mouth??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:31:31 pm »
could be Orf..........highly contagious to humas & other animals.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:14:54 pm »
I'd squirt with antibiotic spray, except round eyes. Spray onto cotton wool possibly and wipe those scabs but make sure you wear gloves and dispose of after.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:18:42 pm »
I leave well alone personally unless there is a secondary infection. I have treated orf, I have left it untreated and in my experience it'll clear up in a week or so regardless ::)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:33:41 pm »
Orf can survive on the woodwork and lots of other places... I would leave it alone, and maybe the others will get it or not... I had it sweep through my lambs really badly, but only one goat kid got it, and then only very mildly. Even though goat kids all share a pen and lambs are in big wide field...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:31 am »
So how does it spread?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:28:48 am »
We have only twice had Orf  , both times it was the same goat and none of the others got it. I didnt treat either as the first time we where seriously snowed in  and it was about 6 days before it cleared up fully
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:33:44 am »
Two of my black welsh had it not long after I bought them, brought it with them and stress of moving must have roused it.  I sprayed after a week or so once I caught them as the sores were horrific. Even then it took several weeks to clear.

One of my lambs had a few suspect sores this year and I sprayed and they went within a day or two. My main concern was it getting onto mums teats and then passing into other lambs.

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »
Thanks for all your comments i feel alittle more at ease about leaving it now,
Just really confused as to how its suddenly appeared on our land as we dont have any outside contact with any other herds  ???

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 07:27:44 pm »
Thought id best let you know how things are going,
His mouth is already looking much better, hes much better in himself and we have left well alone. The rest of the herd seem fine so as usual ive thought it all worse than it is.
Many thanks again to those who replied  ;D  x

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:03:14 pm »
What are his eyes like now?  I noticed yesterday one of mine has mucky eye and today has a couple of sores on his nose.  I bathed his eye as it looked sore and scabby. I haven't put anything on yet but worried about the eye. I do have some antibiotic cream. It doesn't look like orf around eye.

I think it's the hay, there were loads of thistles in it and they lie under the rack and get covered.

xemonsus

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 08:52:56 pm »
His eyes were runny and had scabs around them, they have improved as his mouth has. The scabs are dropping off but the skin around them does look sore but is looking better everyday.
Hope your goats are looking better sorry i only just saw your reply Scotsgirl x

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:57:42 pm »
I bathed in very weak hibiscrub and I think they are improving. He seems happy enough it just looks sore.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS